Help with aching toes after walking 2.5 miles

bkg96
on 1/3/10 9:51 pm
I have a problem with my feet with walking.  After 2.5 miles or so, my toes start to cramp and ache like crazy.  I eventually have to stop, remove my shoes, stretch my toes, reshoe, and start again.  Then, I generally can make 4 miles without having to stop again though my toes hurt again when I am done.  I've changed shoes, gotten fitted by shoe professionals, tied my shoes tight, left them loose, talked to one exercise guru, and everything I can think of.  Any ideas or suggestions?  Walking is the one thing I really like to do, but I want to be able to continue without slowing the heart rate to rest my toes.  Plus, I am hoping to start C25K soon and need healthy feet.  I've lost 69 pounds since lap band on August 15 (have at least 60 to go), and I want to step up my aerobics.

Any help appreciated.

Anne
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/3/10 10:14 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Sounds like your shoes may be a bit small to me. Go to a running store and get properly fitted for some shoes, and I think you will be amazed at how much better you will feel! Best of luck and congrats on your fitness goals....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Seht
on 1/3/10 11:28 pm, edited 1/3/10 11:28 pm
Three things,
1. What Dan said!!!!  Go to a real running store, they will check your feet, your stride, and possibly even videotape you on a treadmill.  I know my local store does that.  Then they can review the video, show you how you are landing on your feet and recommend a shoe to correct or help with any issues you have.  I'm not talking about footlocker or any of the mall stores, but a store that specializes in fitting runners/joggers/walkers.  You will probably pay more for the shoe but it will be night and day.    This is coming from a former (buy the cheapest shoes I can find) shopper.

2.  Mine use to do that when I was much heavier.  As I lost the weight that stopped being an issue.  I remember just walking a mile to get home I thought my toes were going dead and getting ready to fall off.  That doesn't happen any longer.

3.  Different lacing patterns to correct toe and foot problems. 
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334 -0,00.html
This has instructions and videos on different ways to tie the shoes so as to reduce the stress on different areas of your foot.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

bkg96
on 1/4/10 12:28 am
Thanks for the help, guys.  These shoes were fitted at Fleet Feet, a specialty running store.  We even went a 1/2 size larger because I was having this problems with other shoes.  I'll definitely look at the lacing web site, and keep trying different options.

A
Most Active