Update - Lights on the Lake 4 mile run

runningagain
on 1/2/10 10:27 pm - NY

Hi Everyone,

The run last night was beautiful.  All the lights lit up were so pretty and the snow just added to the beauty of it.  It was cold, but we were layered up pretty well so we didn't feel it.  We didn't break any records and really didn't expect to with the conditions. 

When we arrived, they said the group had started 6 or 7 minutes before us.  So we headed out.  We completed 4 miles and it took us one hour and 7 minutes.  We had to stop a couple of times because Alan was getting cramps in his stomach.  They subsided after we walked for a bit.  There was a lot of snow on the path and it was difficult to run in.  We just took it slow and enjoyed being there.  We were the last ones to finish, but we finished and we were happy. 

When I got home, my knees hurt.  Normally, they do not bother me.  Running in the snow probably contributed to it.  Alan and I got home and had so much energy, we finished watching a move we started earlier. 

Here's a link to the pics if you'd like to see them.  Have a great day everyone.  Tammy :-)

http://www.obesityhelp.com/myoh/photos/581417/2010-Lights-on -the-Lake-Run/Lights-on-the-Lake-4-mile-run-2010/#photo

Scott William
on 1/2/10 10:51 pm
Congrats.  It looks like a pretty cool race.  Does Alan know what is causing the cramps?  Is it a side stich, perhaps?

Have a restful day.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
runningagain
on 1/2/10 11:20 pm - NY
Thanks.  Not sure what caused the cramps.  He ate before we left, but nothing big...just a light snack and it took us about 1/2 hour to get there.  Maybe the cold?  I don't know for sure what it was. 
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/2/10 11:27 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Awesome!!! Sounds like a great time!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

runningagain
on 1/2/10 11:32 pm - NY
It really was.  Something we'll remember forever!!
mcarthur01
on 1/3/10 4:04 am - Cumming, GA
sounds like a really cool event, congrats on finishing and ENJOYING it :)
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Linn D.
on 1/3/10 4:57 am - Missoula, MT
Congrats, Tammy!

Those are the fun ones, where you just go and enjoy the time out.  Take care of the knees!

Linn 
runningagain
on 1/3/10 8:51 am - NY
Thanks Linn.  Today, my knees don't hurt at all.  Maybe it was the cold and the snow.  Who knows.  It was a run that I really enjoyed, no pressure.  I have a bit of a competetive edge so when I do a race, I give it my all plus.  But yesterday, I just enjoyed it....knowing a record would not be set with the conditions.  It was fun!!  My son loved it too.  It might be a tradition that we started.  :-)
kerniec
on 1/3/10 5:34 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
Tammy

That's fantastic!  I was thinking side stitch for Alan?  I had one that kept coming back during my race in the cold and I never get those anymore..........

Based on my experience, your knees hurt because you ran slower.  It places a lot more stress on the knees to run more slowly...........I did read that somewhere but I experienced it first.  If I suddenly run slower like when I try to run with my daughter, it really hurts a lot more (pace is off too).

I am so happy for you what a great memory!

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

Most Active