Lessons Learned In LOOOOOOONG Training!!!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/2/10 7:03 am - Fort Worth, TX

Hey Guys,

I hope everyone is well. I thought I would give a brief overview of my training run today. I had initially wanted to get in 30+ miles of running in today. I woke up late due to our youngest keeping us up all night so the day got a little away from me. Anyways, I was still able to get in 27+ Miles today and I felt great. Training for an Ultra Marathon is a bit different than a regular marathon in that Gels and Sports Drinks WILL NOT cut it for nutrition. 24 hours of gels and sports drink is enough to bloat a beached whale... So, I determined a 17 mile loop and was going to try to do it twice depending on how I felt. Here is where the lessons were learned:

1) At my race there are aid stations every 3-4 miles and one stretch that is 6 miles between aid stations. I need to pick a 6 mile loop or 3 mile out and back in training so I can stop by the house and eat food every loop.

2) After the first loop I ate a can of chicken soup and added a bunch of salt. I also drank a bottle of Cliff Shot Recovery drink. THAT WORKED OUT AWESOME!!! I stuck with water and salt tabs and NO GATORADE and was better off for it. I also did a Power Bar Gel every hour. Another reason to do shorter loops is when I started my run it was in the low 20s and when I ended was almost 60... I think a shorter route would allow me to shed layers rather than "Burn Up" wearing them or tying around our waist.

3) My body is built for distance. I don't think I will ever be fast enough to ever win my AG at IM, but I honestly think as I build my endurance, I might pose a threat in these longer distance events. I am slow twitch all the way, there is no doubt.

4) I love running and being healthy. I loved the look the farmer who was plowing his field on my first loop and then 3 hours later saw me still running and was like... "What in the Sam Hell?????"

5) I think my strategy for this 100 mile run needs to be run 40 minutes, walk 10, and adjust accordingly. I was thinking that I would come out of the gates and run as long as I can and then walk whats left. NOT A GOOD IDEA!!! Try running 30 miles and THEN walk 70 = DEATH MARCH.

Anyways, just a few thoughts. I am sure I will learn more on next week's long run. That's what training is all about. Have a great weekend ya'll....

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Seht
on 1/2/10 8:04 am
Good luck Dan,

I can't even begin to get my head around trying to do that.
100 miles sounds like something I would do if I had to walk to save my life, not something for enjoyment.

Please do keep us up to date on your ultraman endeavors.
Here is a decent blog from a local runner in my area who has done a few of them including Tahoe Rim 100 miler.   It's fun to read and get an insight into someone running their first 100 mile race.
http://bobshebest.com/?m=200907

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

kerniec
on 1/2/10 8:08 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
LOL to save your life...........Love that.  I feel the same way.  When he said DEATH MARCH I'm thinking yeah, exactly. 

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/2/10 8:52 am - Fort Worth, TX
Thanks bro... Good Stuff!

www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com

kerniec
on 1/2/10 8:07 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
Wow Dan I am so impressed................

Questions:

1. How do you eat and then run?  I get nauseous so easily (I don't think it's the band, think it's me). Anytime I run and get overheated at all, I get sick to my stomach.........

2. I love your #4 about the farmer, that's classic.  You make me want to get up and put on my gear and run right now except that my knee is sore from a measly 5k. Depressing.  

3. Ok just had to say AGAIN how impressed I am.........you are the most beastly athlete I know.........

Thanks for sharing!!!!

Kernie C!

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/2/10 10:36 am - Fort Worth, TX

Hey Kernie,

I guess I am lucky in that I do not have any problems eating and then running. Perhaps it is because I wear good compression and then my back support / waist belt that keeps my skin and innards from getting jostled around.

There is NOTHING depressing about ever finishing a race, regardless of distance!

I don't think I am that beastly, I just think I am not affraid to push my body and soul to it's limits.

Thank you as always for your kind words!

www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com

Linn D.
on 1/2/10 9:22 am - Missoula, MT
Hey Dan,

Your insights are interesting.  We really do learn a lot about ourselves when we do longer runs.  I really do enjoy those times.  Shows us who we really are down deep.

Congrats on the race lessons you learned today.  More will come and it'll all come together.

Linn
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/2/10 10:40 am - Fort Worth, TX
That's the plan. We shall see. Thanks for your encouragement...

www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com

Rob S.
on 1/2/10 10:39 am - DE
Sounds like you have a great plan in place.  That is an awesome goal to undertake.  To be able to achieve the results you have achieved must be gratifying, and who cares about where you place.  Keep having fun and keep us posted.
Rob
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/2/10 10:42 am - Fort Worth, TX
Thanks Rob, and you bet I will!!

www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com

Most Active