Pain in my knees when exercise

Nelly28
on 1/2/10 3:06 pm - Anchorage, AK

I have started working out a little more consistently lately. I bought two of the Biggest Loser DVDs and have been doing them two times a week each for the past 3 weeks. I really like them, but they have a lot of lunges and make my knees hurt. Do you think I should stick it out and hope I will build some endurance and it will go away or should I look for a different work out and try not push my knees.  Thanks

Nelly

MacMadame
on 1/2/10 3:54 pm - Northern, CA
The problem with DVDs is there is no one there to correct your form.... lunges shouldn't hurt your knees if you do them right. But a lot of people don't line their feet up correctly and then they do hurt your knees.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/2/10 9:51 pm - Fort Worth, TX

I WOULD NOT push through knee pain in hopes it will get better. I would try to find an alternative to lunges like leg press, leg and hamstring curls et****il perhaps more weight is lost and there is not so much load on the knees. McMadame has a great point about form as well....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Scott William
on 1/2/10 10:56 pm
It is rare that I tell someone that they should see a doctor but it is possible that some obscure strengthening exercises would help.  Some physical therapy may help and allow you to keep going.  When you lunge, make sure that your front knee does not bend more than 90 degrees.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Duane1064
on 1/3/10 4:57 am - Bloomington, IN
 I know what you mean about the lunges.  I tried them pre-op and had a really bad experience.  I've not tried them since.  Mine you, I do have a really bad right knee.  It's had two surgeries and is probably on borrowed time.  I do leg presses, leg extensions, and leg curls on the machines in the gym.  I also do a lot of running, walking, and biking.  I figure with all of that I don't need to do the lunges.  Good luck with your knee pain.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
kerniec
on 1/3/10 5:41 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
Nelly

Whatever you do.........don't push through it.  I would definitely try a different exercise and revisit lunges later when you can have someone teach you how to do them........I had the same issue because I was doing them wrong.  I have bad knees and my chiro and doc both said no to the lunges "for now"

Kernie

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

Nelly28
on 1/3/10 7:22 am, edited 1/3/10 7:22 am - Anchorage, AK
Thanks for all the advise, everyone.

I guess I will have to watch my form. I didn't think it was that bad but my knees must be telling me something. I do have other videos that don't involve so many lunges, plus an elliptical machine. A gym membership is definitely out of the question right now financially.  Walking would probably be best, but the temperature... Yes, I am wimp that lives in Alaska.

Nelly

Most Active