Nutritional needs for moderate workouts post rny

mythinme
on 1/3/10 4:27 am
I have been working out now for a week. I have mostly done cardio (40 min sessions minimum) and just started yesterday for upper body lifting weights.

After my workout yesterday (cardio & weights) I drank a protein drink and just resumed my normal diet. I saw a prior post somewhere in here that protein should be taken "before" workout and "carbs" after. Is this the standard rule of thumb? Is there a specific outline of nutritional info I need to follow?

I am averaging well above 100g daily of protein and getting in my 64oz of water. And yes, I am taking all my vitamins too :)

HW
/  SW /  CW /  GW (1st goal met!! ) New Goal Weight                        height 5'3"
230 / 196132  / 135                                       125

Linn D.
on 1/3/10 5:15 am - Missoula, MT
At this point, you may not need anything before your workouts.  I almost never have anything before. After workouts, though, the suggestion is to eat a 4:1 carb:protein ratio within 30-60 minutes.  This is the optimum glycogen storage time and ratio.  After an hour or so, then you can do a high protein meal to rebuild muscle.  I will often eat a Cliff bar, a Trio bar, or just a PB&J sandwich as my post-workout meal.  I think there are about 40-ish grams of carb and 9-10 grams of protein in the bars. 

In my experience, the after workout meal is much more important than anything before.  I used to wait up to 2 hours before I ate anything, but then my workouts the next couple days got worse.  No glycogen replenishment.  

As long as you aren't getting dizzy during your workouts, a meal before probably isn't too much help.  Besides, that should be carb-based also, or you're not getting the easy-to-use fuel your body needs.

You might hear some other things out there from other people who do things differently, but this is the general consensus from exercise physiologists, and it has worked wonders for me.

Linn

mythinme
on 1/3/10 12:38 pm
Hi Linn :) 

what you posted is exactly what I was looking for...thank you thank you...

HW
/  SW /  CW /  GW (1st goal met!! ) New Goal Weight                        height 5'3"

Scott William
on 1/3/10 6:59 am
Linns answer was right on as far as I see.  My opinion is that you are getting in enough protein and you are not far enough out to really worry about it.  Go to the gym and do your thing on the diet that your surgeon gave you.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
mythinme
on 1/3/10 12:35 pm
Thanks Scott...appreciate the input too :)

HW

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/3/10 9:46 am - Fort Worth, TX
The above two posts x 2.... Great Job, and again, I hope you lay off the free weights and such for several more weeks...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

mythinme
on 1/3/10 12:30 pm, edited 1/3/10 12:36 pm
Hey Dan...thanks for confirming the other posts...sounds like a good solid group on this board :)

My surgeon cleared me for cardio and jogging...I didn't ask specifically for free weights but thought if I could jog then I could lift.  I certainly am no ironwoman or anything in the gym I don't go any higher than 15#'s dumbbells to do chest press. 

I will call the surgeon tomorrow and ask if I can lift too...just to be on the safe side...

Is there a reason why I couldn't?? Just asking :)   I go for my next follow up on the 26th. Should I be holding off until then?? 

Thanks again for the advice...

HW

Seht
on 1/4/10 8:51 am
My doc and it seems most of the other ones I have seen advise posted from, say 6 weeks no lifting after bariatric or abdominal surgery in general.

He did back off  a bit at 4 weeks after my exam and said I could lift as long as I was doing machines that isolated specific muscles like arms.  Nothing that would put strain on the abd muscles or any type of core work, no crunches, situps, leg lifts, or anything like that.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active