New Year's Eve Resolution Run - 5K w/Pics

kerniec
on 1/1/10 2:03 am, edited 1/1/10 2:04 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
For those who are just getting started or can't do long distances yet.............I'm currently running "injured" technically..........

I had a fanastically fun time running an 8 p.m. 5K last night.  My time was not as good as my last 5K and I am pretty ticked because I literally couldn't run any faster..........my lungs, tight calf muscle, my knees, you name it.  I forgot my inhaler, DUH and my lungs were freaking in the cold (I forget I have asthma because it bothers me so infrequently now that I am not overweight, but it's definitely there!), it dropped from 36 to 20 during the course of the race itself.........  But we ran in a platt, the Christmas lights were gorgeous, I the pack mentality was fantastic, I did my dangdest to pass as many slowpokes and untrained folks as I could and finish with a moderate group. 

But the good news was, my Daughter and Husband FINALLY showed up for a race so she saw me at the finish!  They left the 2 yr old son at home, and I understand, it was really cold, although he would have loved it.........it's so fun when I come home from training and he says "Mommy running.........Mommy went running in her running shoes"  He knows that he's not allowed to untie and unlace and relace those or play with them........it's very cute.  But at least he brought her and picked me up.......I didn't have to worry about losing a key this time!

Time 33:02, 10:39mm.  Here's my race night pics...........

Here's me getting close to the finish --------I passed several of those people in front of me.......some people just don't care about those last seconds like me...........I could barely breathe at that point........I'm in orange

Ok and here's me afterward (right after) water bottles in hand.........

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/1/10 2:09 am - Fort Worth, TX
Good Job Dude! Way to ring in the new year!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Scott William
on 1/1/10 2:14 am
Way to go!  Nice way to start the year.  Awesome that your daughter and husband were there to support you.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
kerniec
on 1/1/10 2:51 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
Thanks Scott it was..........a long time coming, mind you, but it was nice it finally happened.  Maybe it is a sign of things to come............my daughter agreed to start training to run.  My husband and I are going to start swimming together, so as a family maybe we can all finally get in shape and be athletic. 

bethmal
on 1/1/10 3:09 am
RNY on 12/26/17
Awesome!  I couldn't do my race today because of my IT Band issue.  My doc said no running for 4-6 weeks and it drove me nuts being the spectator and not a participant today,  I am so happy you are receiving support from your family... so important!  Happy New Year!

You can't measure your achievements with someone else's yardstick!

Revision from lapband to RNY 12/26/17 with Dr. Caitlin Halbert

HW 260 SW 248 CW 154 GW 145

Gallbladder removed 9/18

Beth

kerniec
on 1/1/10 3:13 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
Thanks Beth it was a long time coming...........I have a tight IT band, going back to chiro and possibly PT too.  UGH!!!  Have to swim so I can rebuild my stamina.........

Katie H.
on 1/1/10 5:32 am - Charlton, MA
Nice work - congrats!!

I wi**** was light enough to go running right now!!

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

Duane1064
on 1/1/10 6:01 am - Bloomington, IN
 Good job!  Way to end the year and start the new one.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Linn D.
on 1/1/10 7:51 am - Missoula, MT
Congrats on a nice way to finish the year!  It's nice you had some family support at the finish.  

Just to let you know, my husband is NOT a spectator in any way shape or form, so I actually have a better time when I go to races alone or with girlfriends.  Besides, I'm doing it for me, not for him, so if he doesn't want to be there, I'm totally good with that.  It took ME being nervous about how HE was doing instead of concentrating on my race a few times to realize I was better off just doing my own thing and not pressuring him into something he wasn't interested in.  Try not to let it bother you that he's not into it himself.  I'm sure he's proud of you without having to watch.  Mine is.

Take care of yourself.  Heal.  Improvements only happen when you're healthy.

Linn

kerniec
on 1/1/10 7:56 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
Linn

I could care less if the DH came, I wanted my Daughter to come so she would have the chance to get the running bug by seeing the adrenaline and fun...............

I do it totally for me.  It's 100% selfish.  He's very proud of me and so is my daughter but she had no desire to to join me either, she's like her dad.  But as a parent of two young children who need to see that his couch potato lifestyle is not the way to go, I have been furious that he has made excuses not to bring them each and every time.  So that's where it was coming from..........

I healed for weeks and just lost fitness without my knee getting any better at all so I'm pretty upset with the whole situation right now..........of course my left knee is killing me when it's bent from sitting today. 

Thanks though..........just get so frustrated with everything. 

Most Active