Exercise and common sense carb loading...

cabin111
on 12/31/09 2:05 pm
Just wanted to run some ideas by you guys concerning carbs.  I don't do heavy exercise anymore.  But I will bike between 5-7 miles per day...for most of you that is nothing, but for me it gets my heart rate up and it is a workout (I'm 54+ and have had two heart attacks over the years).  I have a heavy (weight) bike so it is more work for me.  If I don't bike I will usually walk for about 45 minutes a day or bike and walk (one in the morning...one in the afternoon).  I want to use carbs the right way before I get on the bike.  I try and have some peanutbutter and fruit before the ride.  Since it is not major exercise (unless it is over 90 degrees outside) would this be the way to go before each workout?  Pasta doesn't make sense for something so short, but I want good carbs for the workout and have basic energy in storage...Thoughts?  Brian
DANCBJAMMIN
on 12/31/09 10:36 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Hey Brian,

Great question! A couple of thoughts... When you workout in your "Aerobic" zone, keeping your heart rate at a low to moderate level, your body will burn fat mainly for it's source of energy, so for a workout under an hour, a carb load is not necessary. As you workout and intensify your heart rate, and you go above a "Moderate" heart rate, you will be in an "Anaerobic" training zone where our body will burn your carbohydrates mainly for it's fuel source. I would say for a workout under an hour, the most important carbohydrates you could take in would be 30 minutes post-workout. A good number is 4:1 carb to protein ratio to help replenish your bodies Glycogen stores so you have plenty of energy for your next workout. Hope this helps...p.s. For me, prior to workouts, I try to steer clear of fruits, except for maybe bananas, I am not fond of Fiber and working out... (Sometimes can feel like you swallowed a hand grenade if you know what I mean).

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

cabin111
on 1/1/10 3:30 am
Thanks Dan.  So do you think peanutbutter and bananas are a good choice before this type of exercise?  Would stew (beef and vegetables) be better?  Would keeping a piece of apple in my pocket be good toward the end (sugar level)?  Thoughts? 
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/1/10 8:36 am - Fort Worth, TX
The Banana and Peanut Butter are solid before, I think an apple would be great afterwards along with a glass of milk or protein...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

MacMadame
on 1/2/10 4:34 pm - Northern, CA
My rule of thumb is that for workouts of an hour or less that aren't speed work (interval training at high heart rates) I do nothing special for nutrition before or during and after I have a light snack of something with protein and carbs and fat in it.

The exception would be if it's been a while since I've eaten. I don't want to go into a workout on fumes so I'll "top off". I do usually have fruit beforehand as it doesn't bother me. Everyone is different and what bothers one person doesn't bother another.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active