New to this board and have a question

mythinme
on 12/30/09 10:00 am
Hello, I am 14 days post op and have been cleared for most exercises by my surgeon. I did some cardio on monday and tuesday that averaged about 200-300 calories. My calorie intake right now is 500-700. I am averaging 100+ grams of protein and 50 oz of water daily...

My question is this...if I am exercising half of my calories away (and I am enjoying the exercise) do I need to increase my calorie intake to adjust for the exercise?? It just seems that if I eat/drink 700 calories then work off 300 calories...well that just seems weird to me. Could be my old preop traditional ways of thinking...

Can someone shed some light on the situation? 

thanks in advance :) 

HW
/  SW /  CW /  GW (1st goal met!! ) New Goal Weight                        height 5'3"
230 / 196132  / 135                                       125

DANCBJAMMIN
on 12/30/09 10:53 am - Fort Worth, TX
I think it would be best to follow what your surgeon says. All of them are different, but stick with what he / she says, and if you have concerns, bring them up and discuss them. Congrats on surgery, you are in for an awesome journey!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

MacMadame
on 12/30/09 2:16 pm - Northern, CA
You are getting the energy (calories) you need by burning your fat stores. If you eat more, you'll burn less fat.

I trained for my first triathlon on 700 calories a day, btw. I had plenty of energy and made good progress in my workouts and fitness levels.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

mythinme
on 12/31/09 12:14 am
Mac...that makes sense  I thought maybe I was using my preop old thoughts. 

HW
/  SW /  CW /  GW (1st goal met!! ) New Goal Weight                        height 5'3"

Linn D.
on 12/30/09 2:34 pm - Missoula, MT
Early on it's more important to be cautious of the intake and not worry so much about the exercise calories.  It's really just an extension of your daily activity.  Until you really get into intense workouts that last a long time, your energy needs aren't going to be more than your body can handle.  

Linn
mythinme
on 12/31/09 12:20 am
Hi Linn, 

I am focused on the intake of protein and water...I do pretty good I think...

what you say makes sense and I am not ready to crank out a professional workout yet...just a couple hundred calories on the cardio machines and some resistance training :)

Thank you again for the post...its helps this newbie...

HW

Scott William
on 12/30/09 8:24 pm
I agree with the previous two posts.  Keep the calories at what your surgeon suggests and still get your exercise in.  (sorry everyone.  here I go again with my tale of caution)  Anyway, when I started marathon training, I was only a few months out from surgery.  I think that it was a mistake for me because I didn't give enough time to cement some new good habbits because of the need for carbs on the long runs.  All I am saying in your case is to just stay the course.  If you really get fatigued easily or anything else that is odd occurs then get back to us but for now the calories vs how much you burn seems about right.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
mythinme
on 12/31/09 12:24 am
Hi Scott, thanks for posting as well...what everyone says now makes sense. A marathon a few months out...WOW...I can't even jog for more than 30 seconds...that was 40 pounds ago and preop....

Nice support on this board....I love it...

HW

Most Active