weight training vs. aerobic exercise?

lanelson2
on 12/31/09 6:59 am - Dexter, MI
Hi all-
I need some advice.  I've been doing aerobic exercise (elliptical machine) for the past year - am up to 45 minutes/day roughly 6 days/week.  I've always believed/been taught that aerobic exercise is the key to weight loss...

I'm having trouble figuring out how to best incorporate a weight training program.  Do I have to do it on top of my aerobic exercise?  That would mean exercising about 1.5-2 hrs/day - don't know that I really want to commit to that amount of time/day.

If I reduce my elliptical time to 3 times/week and add weights the other 3 days/week, will I see any increased benefit above the aerobic exercise alone?

My goals right now are to lose more weight (another 10lbs or so would be nice) and to build more muscle (I like the way it looks). 

thoughts?

thanks and happy new year!

lara

*20lbs lost pre-op
DANCBJAMMIN
on 12/31/09 11:39 am - Fort Worth, TX

I think breaking it up 50 / 50 is a great idea...

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Scott William
on 1/1/10 2:34 am
Here is my thought.  I think that weight training is a vital part of weight loss because muscle burns calories at rest.  The more muscle you have, the more you burn while doing nothing.  It increases your metabolism. 

During the winter, I consentrate more on weight training than I do during the summer.  It is probably not a coincedence that also loose weight during the winter.  I have also seen studies that say that weight training is better for weight loss than cardio.  Obviously, the cardio is essential to better health and a stronger heart (and positive psychological effects) but weight training is awesome also.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
MacMadame
on 1/2/10 4:35 pm - Northern, CA
Another reason to weight train during weight loss is that you are going to lose lean muscle mass no matter how careful you are and weight training what muscles you have will give you added strength.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

laminpa
on 1/3/10 10:39 am - Malvern, PA

Congrats on keeping up a good routine.  After surgery,  I started doing only aerobics which worked well, but after a time, I wasn't liking how I looked -- I was losing fat and muscle mass and looked somewhat frail.  My doc recommended a medically-moderated resistance - weight program at our local gym, which worked well to give me the basics (esp. good form).  I now do aerobics 2-3/wk and weights 2-3/wk, full body circuit.  Having muscles looks and feels great -- I like being and feeling strong.  The first time I flexed my bicep and saw definition --awesome!  Plus, it seems to keep my metabolism up -- a really good thing. I found a good online program by a woman named Tanya Stroh that allows me to vary my workouts (I get bored doing the same thing day in and out),  track my weights and add different equipment in and out of the equation.  I'm totally hooked!

Best of luck in the New Year, Lara!

Most Active