Exersie Questions

Laurie H.
on 12/29/09 8:59 pm - APO, XX
Hello everyone!!
I am having surgery on the 7th of January and I was curious about how long and what kind of exercise you do after having surgery. I know that my doctor will give me guidlines but I wanted to see what other people did.   

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Scott William
on 12/29/09 9:59 pm
Right out of surgery, walk - walk - walk.  After a few weeks, you can add jogging if you please.  As far as resistance training, I would wait at least 8 weeks.  Most surgeons will recommend 6 but for another 2 weeks, what's the big deal. I ended up with an incisonal hernia and I am sure that it was because of weight lifting too soon.  Many people swim and that is another good exercise. 

Back to the weight training.  Muscle burns calories at rest.  Therefore, the more muscle that you add, the more calories you will burn while doing nothing.  I would recommend some weight training.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
pinklilly240
on 12/29/09 10:17 pm - Phila, PA
Hey Laurie, hows it going well it's true right after u have surgery that same day they get u up and walking...when u get home u walk...I waited about a month out to do cardio and weight training I would also weight till 6 to 8 weeks...Girl ur gonna be fine don't worry we are all here to help......lol
Katari
on 12/30/09 5:12 am - OR
Yep, What they said. Walked, walked, walked. Until I got released from the Dr. for more.
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

Most Active