Training for a 10k?

craclemom
on 12/26/09 8:40 am
I'm new here...haven't done a lot of exercise other than walking.  I am signing up with my sister to do a 10k in March.  It will probably be walking but would like to do some running along the way.  Anyone have any advice as how to start training?  My sister lives near a gym and has that support.  I am not that lucky.  I had found a "couch to 5k" type program on podcasts at one time but can't seem to find it again.  Any advice would be great. 

251/145/145
Highest/Current/Goal     

Zeldarin
on 12/26/09 1:48 pm - IN
There is actually lots of stuff if you google it on couch to 10k.  My advice is to start slow, jogging a few miles a day if you can or walk one jog one and then try longer runs on Saturdays.  My Half Marathon schedule goes something like this.  Monday - Rest, Tuesday  2 or 3 miles, Wednesday 3 or 4 miles, Thursday 2 or 3 miles (or rest if needed), Friday - 45 minutes of cross training activity, Saturday - Long run day (anwhere from 6 - 13 miles but remember I am training for the half), Sunday - recovery run of 2 or 3 miles....  Good luck!!!  I also walk/run my races but I FINISH, so I am happy :)  Robin

HW/SW/CW/GOAL
217/206/145/136
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda April 8th/2010
Mini AL, Mini TT, Medial TL, BA, Lipo

Scott William
on 12/26/09 10:49 pm
Welcome to the board!  I would basically start with some short walks and gradually increase the distance gradually.  Typically people are going to have one day a week where they do a longer distance than the rest of the week at a slower pace.  What I would do is start with a reasonable distance (perhaps a mile or two) and increase it by a half mile a week for a 10K goal.  People usually do their long day on the weekend.  During the week you can do some faster work and some hills or intervals. 

The goal is to just gradually increase the distance to avoid injury.  When you want to start running, follow the same theory.  As you walk, throw in some running for short distances and gradually increase those also.

You have plenty of time to reach your goal.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
MacMadame
on 12/27/09 4:51 am - Northern, CA
There are tons of Couch to 5k links here:

http://www.c25k.com

I'd start with that and then keep adding on 10% more time each week when you get to the end. (The last week is 25 min of running, if memory serves. I couldn't even do a 5k in that time so I keep adding on until I was running the whole 5k)

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active