Marathoners and Triathletes

rowenusmc
on 12/24/09 1:58 am
Question---I completed 4 full marathons since 2007 while in the 240-255 pound range.  The fastest was a 5:15, the others around 6 hours.  For any athletes here who have already underwent significant weight loss, did your run times and bike times improve greatly? 

DANCBJAMMIN
on 12/24/09 3:36 am - Fort Worth, TX

I ran my 1st marathon last year at 225 in 4:53:23 from 400 pounds, and 3 months later ran another marathon on a WAY tougher course at 205 in 4:23:01, so YES, weight can play a big part in it. While it may not help you drop 2 minutes of your average pace, you will not feel like you got smashed in a trash compactor after it. Anything we can do to lower the impact on our joints is always a good thing.

As for the bike... YES you will experience speed increases. In cycling, especially when it comes to hills, it's about power to weight ratio... lose the weight and keep the strength, you will be a force to be reconned with for sure. A good buddy and sponsor of  mine who owns Mad Duck Cyclery asked me one time: "Do you know what the difference is between Dura Ace and Ultegra?" I said yeah, about $750, he laughed and said, "True, but the real difference is 6 pounds of fat around your waist". Appearently when it comes to "Rolling weight", that's what it equates to. I would rather save the money and drop the pounds. lol....

Also, your signature line says "From Fatman to Ironman"... Did you finish an Ironman already? If so, which one? That's awesome...

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

rowenusmc
on 12/24/09 4:35 am
Dan, thank you so much for your reply.  Good info.  No, I will not do my Ironman for a while yet.  My goal is to have the title before turning 56.  I am currently 52.  I will continue marathoning and doing shorter distance tri's until I am ready to train up for an Ironman.  How about you?  Are you an Ironman?

DANCBJAMMIN
on 12/24/09 5:12 am - Fort Worth, TX

Yes.... I have completed 5 Ironman branded Triathlons this year

Orlando 70.3

Buffalo Springs 70.3

Louisville 140.6

Augusta 70.3

Austin 70.3

I hold the title "Ironman" pretty near and dear... It would be pretty cool of you to change your signature line IMHO, again, it implies that you are an Ironman. It's  not that big of a deal really, just an observation. Once you become one, you will understand where I am coming from. Merry Christmas bro... 

www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com

rowenusmc
on 12/24/09 5:13 am
As I was, Dan.  I see you ARE an Ironman!  I went and looked at your website.  I am impressed to say the least.  Not far behind you.  I am doing a few 1/2 marathons, at least a couple of sprint triathlons, at least 2 full marathons in 2010.  I want to do my first ultra this year too, but I will have to see how it fits into the schedule.  Anxious to see how they feel at lower weights, then anxious to start some intense training next year to move up to 70.3 distance tri's.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 12/24/09 5:19 am - Fort Worth, TX
Also, we have a racing team from folks here called The Post-Op PR's... Let me know if you would like to be a part... We would love to have you...

www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com

rowenusmc
on 12/24/09 5:22 am
I would like to be a part of your group.  Thank you.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 12/24/09 5:26 am - Fort Worth, TX
Sweet.....shoot me your email in pm and i will get you an invite...

www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com

Seht
on 12/24/09 5:28 am
What I see as the biggest difference between doing the events heavy and doing them lighter.

When I was fat I never could have done it at all.  Now each time I go out and run I am amazed that I can do it.  Yes it has gotten a lot easier on my joints.

I did have a bit of misconception about the weight and exercise.
I ignorantly thought that my ability to exercise was all related to my weight.  I thought hell I'll drop this weight and I'll be a running, biking, swimming superman.  hahah
The funny thing is the exercise has not gotten one bit easier.  That is probably because the intensity level seems to naturally be progressing.  

When I started running I struggled to run 3 miles.  Well I ran 3 miles the other day, and I still struggled, but the difference is I took 8 minutes off my time.  My natural pace and stride have improved.  I don't notice that I'm running or working faster/harder, I just am.  My body is able to do it, and it does.  I am still working at the same intensity, it still feels like i'm huffing and puffing and i'm out of breath and sweaty when I'm done, the only difference is I just did it a lot faster than I had ever done it before.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Scott William
on 12/24/09 11:57 am
I have noticed a huge difference in running races at 245 and 265.   The 245 resulted in a 5:20 marathon and the 265 are in the 6+ range for me.  There has not been as much of a difference in the shorter races - perhaps a minute and a half for a 5K.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active