cycling power training

Seht
on 12/22/09 5:53 am
Can someone give me a simple breakdown of training with a power meter on the bike.
Do you have one?
Which model?
What was the total cost to get it up and running?
What is it?
How does it work?
Do you feel it's worth the cost?

I've been reading about it, but there is so much out there, I'm just looking for some simple explanations.

Thanks

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 12/22/09 12:23 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Hey Bro,

If you want to train by Power AKA (Power Tap) be prepared to sale your first born!!! LOL...  Seriously, for a solid power tap, you are probably looking at $800-$1200, you might be able to find them cheaper used. They tell you how much wattage you produce, and are good for "Information", but will not make you faster. From the people I know who use Power Taps, they become "Obsessed" with the information and I hear things like "I need to lower my wattage because I need to be burning more fat than carbs and at 300w I burn more carbs... Blah Blah Blah".  I have seen so many people get slower because they become slaves to the info, and I have seen people improve dramatically with the info. Either way, it's NOT the Power Tap that makes you fast, it's your fitness and strength, PERIOD. If I were going to drop $1000 it would def be for race wheels and NOT a Power Tap. Think about it in these terms...

If you pace at 20 MPH for a 60 mile ride at 200 pounds you MAY produce let's say 350 watts, for example. Now in comparison, if there is another guy next to you who is pacing the exact same speed (20 MPH) and weighs 160 pounds, he may only produce 310 watts, for example. YOU are actually stronger than the other guy, and I don't think you need to drop that kind of dough to be able to desiminate that. So, if you keep your power, and lose 40 pounds you will be an Uber biker. See, saving you money already :)....  Anyways, I am sure if I had money to burn or was given one, I would love it, but it is not on my wish list right now. My $.02 .... Lemme know if I got some change coming!

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Seht
on 12/22/09 1:26 pm
Thanks for the info.
I don't know if I could drop another 40 pounds, so I guess I need to work on some strength and endurance on the bike.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active