Weight Training- Do you Work out with the "big boys"?

andrea73
on 12/14/09 3:01 am
Okay, I am one that believes that weight training is key to weight loss and focus a majority of my gym time on it.   I have always used the machines, but I have heard free weights are more effective. 

But for some reason I am intimidated by the free weight area.  It seems that mostly the women and not so buff guys use the machines and the muscle men are in the free weight area. 

I know that if I go over there, no one will notice or care, they may even help me out.  But for some reason I am scared to cross over the abyss into the free weight zone. 

Do you go workout with the big boys?  If you were intimidated at first, how did you get past it?
8.5 CC in my 11 CC Band

Scott William
on 12/14/09 3:42 am
I don't work out with the big boys.  I am the big boy.  ;)  That being said, I still get a bit intimidated by bigger stronger guys.  You are right that nobody cares though.  Just go and do your thing.  I would guess that you have strong legs so go and start pumping out reps on the leg press.  That will make you feel better and more confident. 

As a woman, they will be especially ambivilant.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
mcarthur01
on 12/14/09 4:04 am - Cumming, GA
yep, nobody cares... watch out though, you might find yourself spotting somebody :)  i say go for it, start light and safe and then build up.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

boomer65
on 12/14/09 4:31 am
I agree nobody will care and if asked would probably help you.  I work out in the free weight area and nobody bothers me except to say a quick hello or nod of the head.

Start light and build yourself up and make sure to watch your form.  Form is EVERYTHING in free weights.  If you don't have proper form you'll either hurt yourself or not work the muscle the right way.

Good Luck

andrea73
on 12/14/09 6:33 am
Thanks, I may take a little field trip over there tomorrow. 
8.5 CC in my 11 CC Band

DANCBJAMMIN
on 12/14/09 11:34 am - Fort Worth, TX
That's awesome you are getting it done at the gym!!! As for the big boys... Both free weights and machines are great! Machines are great for isolation excercises. Free weights are great because there is nothing to guide your ranges of motion except your stabelizer muscles, which typically on a machine, are not worked. Being Bulky or just toned ultimately depends on the load you are giving your muscle. Heavy load, low reps = Muscle Mass and Bigger muscles. LIght Load, increased reps = Toned muscles. I would recommend mixing your workouts between free weights and machines. Keep up the good work...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

jenjengrins
on 12/14/09 10:44 pm - Olathe, KS
I understand what you feel.  I starting boxing about 3 months ago and I was scared to death.  But the one thing I have learned is that people really don't pay attention.  They are there to do their thing and move on.  

Believe me the first time I went to the gym, I was petrified, but after the first time its like learning to ride a bike.  You are excited to do it, but scared to do it without the training wheels.  Its similar here.  Just go for it and keep the mind thinking wow I did it.

Way to go though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

7.8 cc in a 10 cc band, Started at 378 lbs
Goodbye 300 forever and ever! 07/18/2009

Tummy Tuck August 13, 2010

Linn D.
on 12/16/09 8:37 am - Missoula, MT
Good for you getting with the strength training!  I'm doing good to get it done once a week.

The only other thing I'd like to add is that if you're not getting a good 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week, you're not improving your overall health and fitness regardless of what your body might look like.  You might think that weight training is the key to weight loss, but don't forget about your cardio since it is the key to heart health.

Linn
Imcomingout
on 1/19/11 10:58 pm - KY

Its has been two years since my Lapband, and i have lost 120 lbs. I have worked out hard doing, pilates, treadclimer, aerobics, etc. My body looks terrible. So I just started doing weight training for women by Joyce Vedral. In a week I can see and feel the difference. One day you work the upper body and the next day you work the bottom. I am really sore. I am using 3lb dumbells and in a few months I will use 5 lbs (I hope). I am sorry that I didnt add weights to my exercise program.  I am hope that I will start to look better and lose the last 40 lbs I need.

Definition of a Fool: expecting different results by doing the same thing.

Most Active