Goals for next year?

Seht
on 12/14/09 12:29 am
I was thinking about setting my goals for next year, and I was wondering if anybody else had started to torture themselves with next years goals yet.

I have my A races, Wildflower and Vineman.  My goal with them is to finish, but that really starts with the first event the swim.  Ultimately my goal is to not drown, followed by not having to grab hold of anything or flip over and float on my back.
I also want to take 16 minutes off of my 1/2 marathon and run a sub 2 hour 1/2 marathon.  Both of my marathons this year were on pretty hilly country roads.  I think I'm going to take a little help on this one and run a 1/2 marathon on a flat course and follow a pace group.  It's kind of hedging my bet a little, but 16 minutes is a big chunk of time to take off.

But a more mundane goal I have is to run 1095 miles.  This equates to 3 miles per day.  I'm going to start off negative on this one right off the bat, because I'm having surgery the end of the year and the doc says 2 weeks before I can run again.  So I'm going to have some makeup work to do right from the get go.

Then somewhere in the back of the dark shallow place I call a brain, I have the glimmering hope of finishing a local sprint triathlon and having a podium finish.  Oh and this time I don't want to be in third place because there were only 3 athletes in my division.

So what would you like to accomplish for next year.

Best wishes

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

mcarthur01
on 12/14/09 1:46 am - Cumming, GA
my goal will be to kick ass next year.... seriously.  and that doesn't mean podium finishes or personal records (i'll get the PR's, i don't think i will podium at all), it's just means to keep motivated and focused on what is important, my health and family.  racing is a great way for me to validate my training, so of course i'm going to race a bunch too.  the big ones right now are the ATL marathon in March and the IMFL 70.3 in May... other than that, i would love to do one or more of the ultra relays and get into trail-running a bit more, and maybe some of the more interesting and fun events like the muddy buddy... anything to mix it up a bit.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

on 12/14/09 2:20 am - National City, MI
I have a list of events that I would like to do but, in light of some recent news in my life (deployment), I am holding off on posting any race goals for now. I will say that one of my goals is to maintain a regular workout schedule for the entire year no matter what.
 BTW Scott, there is no shame in finishing 3rd out 3 in your age group. Think of all the other people your age who didn't have the motivation to even start the race!!
Good luck with your goals this year!

Eric
Seht
on 12/14/09 2:48 am
Thanks,

I know there is no shame, and it's great that I can even fini****
But I'm my own biggest competitior and critic.  I see this as absolutley doable.
I took over 22 minutes off of my time from the previous year.

I think what I would like to do is transition from trying to complete the event to trying to compete in the event.  Even if I don't place, I want to cross the finish line huffing and puffing with nothing left in the tank.  I have to get over that fat man mentality of making sure I conserve enough energy to finish.  I know I can finish, now it's how fast and well can I finish.

Thanks again,

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

saxman007
on 12/14/09 2:51 am - Port Huron, MI
 I'm going to enjoy NOT doing 3 marathons and a half so close to each other.  I'm getting a little burned out on the amount of long runds I've been doing, lol.  
My A race is going to be Ironman CdA and the Detroit Marathon.  My girlfriend is thinking she'd like to try do a 1/2 marathon @ the Flying Pig in Cincinatti.  If she's up for it I'll probably do the full and run with her the first half.  
Other than that I'll do a smattering of local tri's and probably not get a 70.3 in.  Possibly the Rev 3 at Cedar Point but there's some exciting news coming in the next couple of weeks that makes everything else I've listed seem that much more overwhelming, lol
--Dan
bandhope
on 12/14/09 4:45 am - TX
White Rock Full Marathon!!!! Just finished the 1/2 there, yesterday.
Cassie W.
on 12/14/09 7:43 am, edited 12/14/09 9:31 am
My A-race for 2010 is the Syracuse 70.3 Ironman.  But, my main goal for the year is to avoid injury by incorporating more strength training, stretching and core work.  I'll do a couple of half marathons,  a handful of local races and the Irongirl sprint triathlon.  I will probably forgo a marathon so I have more time to develop my swimming skills.

Cassie

P.S.  Almost forgot, I want to be one of Rob's "other fools" running the Gettysburg to Wasington, DC Relay in April.

"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Katie H.
on 12/14/09 8:59 am - Charlton, MA

There are two things I'm definately going  to do in the next year...run my first 10k and my first half. 
I'd love to be able to do the Huff 50K Trail Run next December - either by myself (which would be amazing) or as a part of a relay team.

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

Rob S.
on 12/14/09 9:27 am - DE

I have decided to get younger in 2010 so I can keep up with all of you.

Still don't have the complete list, but I am thinking about doing the Niagara Falls (Oct 24) or Chicago marathon (Oct 10),.  Also still thinking about trying to find 11 other fools to do the Gettysburg to Wasington, DC Relay in April.  I may try and do a half every month in 2010, but I need to figure out if there are enough nice ones to plan my vacations around.  Have to find scenic places to run that will entice my wife to accompany me. 

My cycling will consist of doing MS150 Bike to the Bay (year 7) in October, the American Cancer ride, and four centuries in May.  I will also do several local dualathlons.

I am also looking at the Muddy Buddy in Richmond.

Hope to firm up my schedule in the next two weeks.  Staying healthy will be a big factor in what I can accomplish.

Rob

Raze
on 12/14/09 10:27 am, edited 12/14/09 10:27 am
out of the gym and into the sunlight. i notice you guys here run on the street, walk out there, hike, bike, all that good stuff

i have a feeling hiking (trail) is calling me. a good, fast hike up some hills sounds good to me. if its cardio and fat burning, i am pretty enthusiastic

so that is the BIG one. start working out "outdoors." when i was heavier i wouldn't want to be noticed, but now that i am adept at walking and have lost weight, being out there and hiking and doing a good job of it sounds great

i am doing this step by step. implementing fitness into my life. this is my next step

IMO

Most Active