5 K trail run

panhead58fl
on 12/13/09 10:28 am - Barboursville, WV
Hi guys,

I did some thing new yesterday, a 5 K trail run. I have thought about trying trail running but had never done it. Friday my sister-in-law's husband told me they were going out of town and he had already paid for it and I should go ahead and use his bib. I talked to the people that were putting it on and they said no problem.

It was in the mid twenty's Saturday so the ground was frozen, guy at the local running store told me regular running shoes should be fine. I have to say I really enjoyed it. It started out in a local park in a grassy area but soon went right to a single track trail. There were roots and trees stumps and even a small stream crossing. There was lots of elevation changes. It was a challenge, but I had a lot of fun. I finished in 29:58, 9:39 mile. 

Tomorrow I am calling the local running store about trail shoes. There is another one next month 2 days before my 52 nd birthday. Life is good!

pan head
mcarthur01
on 12/13/09 9:46 pm - Cumming, GA
i did a 9 mile trail run race and loved it.  i'm definitely going to be seeking them out when it gets a bit warmer, there is something about running on trails that makes it seem like you can run forever (probably something to do with it is interesting, and you are going slower than a road pace because you are avoiding rocks/roots/etc).
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

panhead58fl
on 12/13/09 10:07 pm - Barboursville, WV
I think what made it so much fun was the zigging and zagging, jumping over trees that have fallen over the trail. Your not running in a straight line, you have to pay attention where you put your feet so you don't go sliding down a hill. 

pan head 
Scott William
on 12/13/09 9:51 pm
Nice job.  Glad to hear that you enjoyed it.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
panhead58fl
on 12/13/09 10:09 pm - Barboursville, WV
Thanks Scott,

I guess it must be that closest a person can come to feeling like a deer running through the woods. Made me feel like a kid running through the woods.

pan head
Seht
on 12/13/09 10:43 pm
Sounds like you have a new addiction ;-) brewing.

Congrats on the fun run.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

panhead58fl
on 12/14/09 11:14 pm - Barboursville, WV

Thanks, yeah I think your right. Only bad thing is this is the first time any one has done this in my area. If nothing else it will be a great way to train. I can go trail running instead of doing hill work outs.

pan head

Most Active