Hydration

Raze
on 12/13/09 4:31 pm, edited 12/13/09 6:28 pm
Hi all

Lets talk hydration. What do you guys drink and how much? Is "too much" ever enough? All that i can? Is water ok, or is a "sports drink"  favored?

I don't drink nearly enough fluids. I just forget and all this activity is new to me. Its just yesterday i had a really long and busy day which started with a hot n sweaty 4 mile powerwalk. At the end of the day i was feeling spent and generally poopty

I thought  'wtf i am working out and feeling tired?' Because lately i have had  lots of energy. Was i hungry? Nope. But something was the matter. Sweaty palms, uneasiness, a feeling of not being well balanced, so to speak

Then it hit me. All day long i had one` cup of coffee and about 30oz of fluids. In a nearly 18 hour time frame. I have a feeling this won't do

How do you guys stay hydrated? Is it a good idea to drink while i treadmill? I see people do this, but i never really get thirsty. Which is most likely not the point, i know....

IMO

Scott William
on 12/13/09 9:42 pm
As far as drinking during exercise, I don't unless it's 7-8 miles or longer.  This is because I generally keep very hydrated throughout the day.  Most days I will take in 70-90 oz of water.  If I am doing a long run I don't generally drink very much because it messes up my stomach.  I did however realize within the last 6 weeks that eggs really upset my stomach.  Now that I have figured that out I am excited to start drinking more on long runs.  I drank 20 oz yesterday while on the treadmill.  I do that out of a soda bottle because I can just suck in a mouth full.  You really should drink even if you are not hungry.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is such a thing as water intoxication.  I don't think that it's anything to put on top of your list but just to be aware of.

Water intoxication (also known as hyper-hydration or water poisoning) is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain functions that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside of safe limits by over-consumption of water.[1] Normal, healthy (both physically and nutritionally) individuals have little reason to worry about accidentally consuming too much water. Nearly all deaths related to water intoxication in normal individuals have resulted either from water drinking contests, in which individuals attempt to consume high amounts of water, or long bouts of intensive exercise during which electrolytes are not properly replenished, yet excessive amounts of fluid are still consume.

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
mcarthur01
on 12/13/09 9:51 pm - Cumming, GA
i spend a lot of time on hydration.  i typically will make sure i drink 20 oz or so prior to working out and always have a full bottle with me on the treadmill or stationary bike.  if i'm on a long run outside (over 6 miles in my book) i will wear a fuel belt.  i drink either water or poweraide zero.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

happylapbander
on 12/13/09 10:01 pm - Fort Walton Beach, FL
Raze - I drink at least 60 oz water every day - usually 80 oz.  I think too much would be when you drink so much you don't get your protein in and you other nutrients.
Seht
on 12/13/09 10:40 pm
http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Cracking-the-Code-o n-Sweat-Rates.htm

Figure out how much you are sweating when you work out.  Then figure out how much you need to replace and at what rate.

Too much water can cause you some health issues, but too little which is more likely in your case since you said you aren't drinking will effect your race day performance, and your health if you take it to extremes.

There are a lot of articles on sweat rates, and hydration. 

Good luck,

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Seht
on 12/13/09 10:42 pm
Also I almost never consume just plain water when I'm working out.
It almost always has an electrolyte added.  Something like NuuN, it has the electrolytes and no calories.  It comes in a tablet and you just drop it into your water bottle.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Raze
on 12/14/09 9:06 am, edited 12/14/09 9:06 am
thanks for all the great info

i will take note and hydrate accordingly from now on. its gonna be something i have to remember to do on a daily basis

thanks again

IMO

Jennifer S.
on 12/14/09 10:51 am - Ozark, AL
Good topic ! I learned alot thanks for the post..

Most Active