wii for exercise

bookpondsky
on 12/10/09 8:42 pm
Hi all. I am currently 299 lbs. and slowly losing.  I need to MOVE and I am thinking about buying a Wii.  I'd like your experiences with this given so much weight! Thanks

Scott William
on 12/10/09 9:00 pm
I have a Wii and have not used it as a form of exercise.  As a matter of fact, whereas I used to stand up and go through the entire bowling motion, I now just bowl while sitting on the couch.  If you plan on getting the wii fit or something similar, you will have to decide if it's something you will stick with.  I have a treadmill but have to go to the gym and use theirs.  Just a personal preferance.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
lisalynn
on 12/11/09 2:09 am - MS
I am also curious about this wii fit stuff and now i think they have a Biggest loser program too. I have not used it but would also be interested in what people think of it.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 12/11/09 6:13 am - Tuvalu
 The Wii Fit is a good "bridge" between sitting on my ass and actually going to the gym.  I think it  has SOME weight limit...like 330 or something.  Check that out before you buy it.  If you exceed the weight limit, it won't work.

It is NOT like a good gym workout.  But it is great for getting up to speed enough to feel confident that you won't kill yourself at the gym.  The games are fun.  And I can use it when I have some physical disability that keeps me from working out.  I just had eye surgery and couldn't bend over or lift over 25 pounds for two weeks.  WiiFit is perfect for that.  I'm going to have a surgery on my hand (I'm old, if you haven't guessed) and and I'll be in a splint for 12 days and won't be able to use the equipment at the gym.  The WiiFit will work just great for that time.

We enjoy ours, but we also find that as we go to the actual gym, we use the Wii Fit less and less.  But we live in a small condo and we rearranged all the furniture in the living room to give ourselves more WiiFit room...so we do enjoy it.

jenjengrins
on 12/14/09 11:08 pm - Olathe, KS
I have a WII fit, but found it boring for myself.  Its probably enjoyable for some, but I prefer getting out of the house to workout myself.  I know a few folks who live and love it!

7.8 cc in a 10 cc band, Started at 378 lbs
Goodbye 300 forever and ever! 07/18/2009

Tummy Tuck August 13, 2010

robinfrommilw
on 12/19/09 1:05 pm - WI
I highly recommend the biggest loser wii game. Can be used with or without the wii fit board :) 
Robin from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Distal gastric bypass 7/28/09
6 month supervised diet done lost over 50 lbs pre-surgery
My facebook page is:
www.facebook.com/robinfrommilwaukee  (just put that you are from OH in message to add you to my facebook)     
       View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

August 2010 weight 138 lbs lost of 179.5 lbs but gain again since my gallbladder surgery Oct 2010 range recentlly my weight got up to 166 and I was in freak mode. I am now down to 152.6 hoping to get back to 135 and started generic wellbutrin

MacMadame
on 12/19/09 1:59 pm - Northern, CA
I have the Wii Fit and I found it wasn't much of a workout, especially the aerobic stuff. They are too short to really be aerobic and I didn't work up much of a sweat either.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Fit_Mama
on 3/31/10 9:03 am
I just wrote an article about this after getting so many questions from my clients and friends. Short answer: Wii is a great workout. Long answer: Read the article!

http://factoidz.com/why-work-out-with-a-wii/
Most Active