4 Years ago today...

Scott William
on 12/9/09 12:16 am
It was a miserable and windy day here in New England.  It was cold and snowing.  If I recall correctly, we ended up with about a foot. 

I remember this because it was the day of my surgery and I was up at 4 am to get to the hospital.  I was there before it really get heavy.  What a day, with all the anxitey and hope involved.

Boy, have I really screwed up some of this post -op stuff.  Overall my eating is bad and until the last few months, my exercies has been fairly inconsistant.  My all time low was 237 but that was about 10 pounds lower than where I feel I should be.  245 would be great for me.  I am currently 263 which is obviously higher than I want.

That being said, I ran the Disney Marathon and Half in January at about 267 so my weight is down 4 pounds from the beginning of the year.  I feel like I am back on track and my eating is better since I have not been doing those 10+ mile runs.  They send my appetite through the roof.  I would recommend anyone wanting to do a marathon to wait two years from your surgery.  You want to know what it feels like to eat right and figure out that part before you start training.  I started right away and regret it because carbs are needed for fuel. 

This year I ran about 20 races.  It would have been more if I could afford it.  (im never paying $30 for a 5K - $25 and it has to be a great race!)  My best 5K time was 24:50 and I ran 6:54 in a mile road race.  The mile was 20 seconds slower than last year because of 10 pounds.  Next year I will go under 6:20.  I will also set a PR in the 5K because I am now more consistant.  By the end of the year, I will have over 200 days of exercise.  That is about 200 more than 2005 but 165 less than 2010.  Just a goal.

Anyway, since my surgery, I have gotten married to an awesome women who was out of my league at 375 lbs.  I have run 4 marathons and 14 half marathons including 2 goofy challanges.  I have maintained a very reasonable weight.  I am better at my job, better as a father, a bit more outspoken, much more healthy and overall very happy.  

I am blessed to have had the surgery and would do it again in a heartbeat.  Every once in a while I will get down about something and think back to when I could not tie my shoes.  I could but it was a national emergency.  I would breathe heavy and get light headed while every muscle in my body strained to within an inch of popping.   Now I can touch my knee to my nose.  I do it every once in a while just because.  When I signed up at my gym with a three year membership, I hoped that I would not regret it.  When it expired, I got a new one at another gym.  I don't want to take for granted all I have done and I have some loose ends to tie up but it is safe to say that these last four years have been some of the most rewarding of my life.  

I have a few goals for year 5.  I would like to run at least a mile a day every day and I am praying that I finally get into the Mt.Washington road race.  Hopefully, the third year is a charm.  Again, I will improve my times and I will get back to 245.  Lastly, I want to place in the top 3 at the Hartford Marathon 5K in the clyde divison.  

Thanks everyone for your support. 
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Rob S.
on 12/9/09 12:47 am - DE
Congratulations on four years!  And it's great to see your trying to restart those engines!  I can't wait to hear about your success on Mt. Washington.  I'm already assuming that this year you'll get into that race.
Rob
Scott William
on 12/9/09 8:05 pm
Thanks Rob.  I am really keeping my fingers crossed on Mt. Washington.  Hope you are right!
Scott

DANCBJAMMIN
on 12/9/09 1:01 am - Fort Worth, TX
Scott,

Congrats on a HUGE milestone. You are the man!!! You have accomplished so much and are so dedicated to having a better life, which is what all this is about. Way to keep things in perspective, and here's to an incredible 2010 for you, your new bride, your family, and all of us! Take care buddy....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Scott William
on 12/9/09 8:08 pm
Thanks Dan.  It's been up and down but from a much higher standard.  It will be a good 2010 for all of us.
Scott

Hawgman
on 12/9/09 1:47 am - TX
INCREDIBLE!  To have the courage to slip and fall and then get back up is inspiring!!

Good luck on fulfilling your goals.

Darrell
Scott William
on 12/9/09 8:13 pm
I'd like to think that admitting my failures and troubles helps me.  Thanks for the support.
Scott

gorditabonita
on 12/9/09 3:01 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with
Congratulations Scott....you are an INCREDIBLE inspiration to me!!!!

Funny how a lot of my OH favorites had WLS in the same month as I did....my anniversary is next week!

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

Scott William
on 12/9/09 8:15 pm
It does seem to be a popular month.  Thanks for the kind words.
Scott

sallyj
on 12/9/09 5:33 am - Spokane, WA
I'm four years out as of Nov. 15th.  Congratulations on all you've accomplished.  Isn't it great.  I do not do marathons, but just being able to do any exercise--simply walking a mile at lunch--is such a new thing for me.  It was so painful for me pre-surgery that I could barely even stand 15 min.  I very clearly remember that pain. 

I too put on a few pounds this year but am getting it off.  It is so nice to only have to worry about 10 lbs. rather than 200!

Good luck with year five.
Most Active