Old athlete looking to get back in the game

goalechica
on 12/8/09 8:26 am - Waldorf, MD
I used to workout at the gym before school, then have soccer practice or games, then do cardio in the evening. I was pretty toned, and probalby even considered overdeveloped for a girl. But I didn't mind that because I was going to be going to Elon in NC to play soccer. Then I got in a car wreck and broke my back and femur. I gained a lot of weight after that.

Now I'm 24 and getting WLS on Dec. 22nd. I'm ready to get back in the gym, but I have some limitations due to the car wreck. As I lose weight those limitations will reduce. The problem is, they tell you what you can't do, but don't tell you what you can do.

I know that I cannot run, that I cannot do weighted squats, that I'm to stay away from anything considered stressful to my back. At the same time, I need to build my core and strengthen my back. So it's kind of frustrating. I just joined up at a local gym, but I really don't know what exercises are ideal. Does anyone have any back injury friendly ideas. I'm familiar with all gym equipment and lingo so no need to educate just need some tips as I look to get back into shape.

For cardio I'll mostly be using the stationary bike as it's low impact.

With proper technique and not overdoing it with weight do you think that I can do chest press, military press etc? Any and all input is very much appreciated.

Starting Weight/ Surgery Weight
        255                   237                     

Katari
on 12/8/09 8:30 pm - OR
Did your Dr. give you some idea's about what kind of exercise you could do? I know my PCP gave me a print out of back strengthing exercises after having pulled some muscles a while back (can't find the papers though). Did you go to a physical therapist that you could call up and talk to over the phone about what would be doable?

I've just started myself on the working out part so don't have any recommendations, but I hope someone might jump in and help out! Good Luck!
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

Scott William
on 12/8/09 8:39 pm, edited 12/8/09 9:28 pm
Take this for what it is from someone who has no clue but does have back pain and 3 herniated discs.  I would definitely stay away from pretty much any free weights and use the machines instead.  I would also use very controled movements.  

I don't usually tell people to see their doctor because I assume that that is on the top of their list but this is an instant that I would say asking your doctor would be best.  Perhaps they can  refer you to a good physical therapist who can show you what you can do.  I bet that this is frustrating.  Good luck with everything.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Duane1064
on 12/8/09 8:48 pm - Bloomington, IN
I'd really go to the pros with this one.  Whatever you do, make sure that you start slowly.  Does you gym have a pool?  If so, when your incisions heal then swimming or something in the pool probably would be best.  Biking is good.  The elliptical would be good too...or so I would think.  What about walking?  Does it bother you now?  One thing about it, as an old athlete myself, the spirit of an athlete never dies.
Good luck and best wishes,
Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
wjoegreen
on 12/9/09 11:03 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
Get ye to da pool: walking, swimming
Non- pool, wear a brace of some type to protect and help you be aware of when you are doing too much or bending the wrong way (brace awareness before muscle pain).
Cha-Ching,...my 2 cents.   
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Most Active