First time on this board

boomer65
on 12/8/09 6:50 pm
Morning All,

I've been on OH for almost 3 years and this is my first visit to this message board.  Looking for some additional motivation when it comes to exercising.  I try to workout 3-5 days a week whi*****ludes at least 1 spinning class, sometimes 2, workout with my trainer and then a couple days lifting.  Some weeks I make it, some I don't. 

How do you all stay motivated to get out and move every day?  Also, does anyone have the Wii Fit or Fit Plus?  I heard it was a great supplement to the gym - not a replacement but an alternative for those horrible rainy/snowy days.

Any and all advise is appreciated.

Franci

Cassie W.
on 12/8/09 7:15 pm, edited 12/8/09 7:15 pm
Welcome to the Exercise and Fitness boards Franci!  This is a great place for inspiration and motivation.  I find that posting on the daily exercise thread and reading what everyone else is doing gives me a little added motivation when I'd rather skip a workout.  It's a combination of accountability, encouragement and social interaction.  When I see other people setting and achieving stretch goals, it gives me the confidence that I can do it too.

Because I'm a runner, my other external sources of motivation are running with friends and registering for the next race.  If I'm training for something specific on my calendar, I know that I have to put in the training time to get to the finish line.

Congratulations on incorporating fitness into your new lifestyle!

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Duane1064
on 12/8/09 7:26 pm - Bloomington, IN

Franci, welcome there are a lot of great people on this board with great knowledge, experience, and motivation.  Speaking of motivation........I'm about eight months post-op so I'm still in the "honeymoon" phase but I keep motivated by looking at the pre-op pictures of me and telling myself that if I don't stay active in some way I can go back to being like that.  I've come too far and worked too hard and feel too good to ever go back to that.  My wife and I were on the verge of becoming very unhealthy.  We are now healthy and don't want to lose that.

As for the Wii Fit.  We do have it and use it to occasionally break the monotony.  I'd like to check out the Biggest Loser edition that just came out.  I hope that we can help you with your motivation.  Don't be a stranger.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
boomer65
on 12/8/09 7:38 pm
Duane, thank you for the kind welcome.  I'm looking forward to visiting often.

Congratulations on you and your wife's decision to join the losers club.  Isn't it amazing how much better you feel?  I'm sometimes amazed that I'm as active as I am let alone being able to go to a spinning class for an hour and make it all the way through 

Like you I keep and look at pictures of my pre-op self to remind myself I never want to look like that again.

Let me know when you get the Biggest Loser edition and if it's worth the investment.  I'm happy to be here and hopefully I can contribute as well as get motivation and support.

Have a great day.

Franci

Scott William
on 12/8/09 8:28 pm
Welcome to the board Franci.  Lots of motivation to be had here.  One thing that keeps me motivated is posting on the daily exercise thread.  Cassie is right about the race registration.  Having a race lurking in the future is definitely a motivator.

Have a good one
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
DANCBJAMMIN
on 12/8/09 8:56 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Welcome to the board!!! Downingtown eh?? Moved to Texas from West Chester a couple years ago. I used to live right off 202 and 100.... Be sure to eat a grinder at Ron's School House for me :). Anyways, congrats on the excercise. I would say my motivation is my family. I try to set a good example so my kids will think that an active lifestyle is just normal. Best of luck in all you do and hopefully Santa will bring me a Wii....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

boomer65
on 12/8/09 9:08 pm
Thank you.  I know the area you moved from.  I'm up by Marsh Creek State Park.  I LOVE Ron's School House, but don't really eat there anymore since I can't eat the ovals and grinders are on my no-no list too - don't really eat sandwiches anymore - too much bread.

I'm hooking up my Wii in January when the new TV gets here so I'll let you know how much I like or dislike it after that.

Great idea for motivation.  I have a niece and nephew and want them to stay active.

Have a great day.

Raze
on 12/8/09 11:21 pm, edited 12/8/09 11:23 pm
staying motivated?

well, i am still losing weight so that is a motivator. however that will stop sooner then later, most likely. but the working out never will

i guess for me its personal. i have never used my body this well before, and i like it. liking it motivates me. also lately, i have turned a coner of sorts. i only powerwalk on the treadmill....but still. i can go faster, further, and with less effort. my breathing is good, legs strong, upper body straight. i have good form even at 4.8mph. so seeing improvement and working for more is motivating

i am 44 years old and want to do the best i can. its noce to be 44 and feel the best you ever have. i feel better then i felt at 22. but i felt like **** then so....

anyway, last thing about motivation. i was talking with a friend of mine the very day i started working out. and i was knd of grumpy, not being an exercise person.  i said "whats my motivation."  she said "the motivation will come later."

wise words....

IMO

Rob S.
on 12/9/09 12:45 am - DE
Welcome to the board!  Nice to have another East Coast compatriot on board.  Although I live in Delaware, I go to ACAC in West Chester at least five times a week. 

How do we stay motivated?  Speaking for myself, I just treat exercise as another job.  If you don't do it, you don't get paid.  If you take a take a day off, holiday off, vacation day, you don't get paid.  Plus it is really fun.

I don't use the gym as much anymore, since most of my training is done on the road, either running or cycling, but I still love to hit the spinning and body bar classes. 

Enjoy it.
Rob
Markrb
on 12/9/09 1:56 am - MA
Hi Franci,

Welcome to the board. I draw a lot of inspiration from reading the posts here and some of the incredible feats people on the board accomplish.

I stay motivated by mixing it up and trying not to get in a rut doing the same thing too much. It also helps me to have a race on my calendar to train for. I find that it really helps me if I have a goal that I'm shooting for, for example, I want to run a half marathon and half iron man triathlon next season.

Let me know how the Wii Fit is, I just bought a console for x-mas and wondering if it's worth the money.

Mark
304/256/184/175
highest/surgery day/current/ goal

Most Active