WLS and back pain (x-post)

MargieInMI
on 12/8/09 12:26 am - Grand Blanc, MI
Have any of you had a start of back pain or an increase of back pain after losing weight?

I'm close to 100lbs lost, and the past few weeks my back hurts.  It's not that "grabbing, catching" kind of pain that leaves you stuck in a certain position...but a muscular, intense burning pain in the middle of my back.  It's becoming so bad that sitting at work I'm in pain, it hurts when I go to bed and I slept on my heating pad last night to relieve the pain (luckily it goes off in 2 hours and it's on a low setting so no skin damage), and I've cut back what I've done at the gym.  I've always been heavy chested, and my chest has shrunk, and it's definitely the slowest shrinking part of my body and I do have loose tummy skin.

At my last appt I complained of back pain, she said it could be due to the skin and my chest.

Is it common and has it happened to you?  Will it go away after some PS like breast lift or tt?  What did you do about it?  I'm considering going to my PCP and asking for some therapy.

Thanks for your help!

*Just an extra note, as far as exercise, I've been working on some back strengthening exercises at home.

gayles
on 12/29/09 8:15 pm - Franklin, VA
Yes, I am headed to the chiropractor about it today.....I wanted to read up on any others before I went.  I'll let you know what he says.  I had my surgery almost 5 years ago.  Ever since I've lost the weigh I've noticed I could not lay on my stomach or back for long periods of time.  I have to sleep on my sides, but will sometimes roll over (not knowing) and man my lower back hurts.  Hopefully I will gets some answers today.  
Toniie
on 1/2/10 11:44 pm - Muskegon, MI
I am about 10 weeks out and have noticed my back becoming more and more sore.  I have problems in the lower back and am wondering, like you said, is it the loose skin and such?When I was younger (late teens), I was diagnosed with disk degenerative disease (bad L4) and am wondering if that area is acting up again?  I can no longer sleep on tummy and sides are only... OK... i wake up out of a dead sleep cramped very bad. Also, I have osteoarthritus in my right know and have also noticed that is hurting more as well.

I prolly should call Dr. about the knee, he said he would replace it once I have 100 lbs. off - only 35 to go! and have him check out my back at the same time.

Most Active