At what weight did you start running?

NorCalCutie
on 12/7/09 10:39 am - Santa Rosa, CA
I've always fantasized about being a jogger. I sincerly hope some day to be able to go out for an early morning run daily and want to someday do a marathon even if I don't jog the whole thing.

At what weight did you try to start jogging and how did you start?

I've tried jogging in short spurts in the past couple of months but I was shut down pretty darn quick with knee and hip pain.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Lucy
A wise woman once said "You have to remember its only a tool....You still have to do the work....The difference is that you have a big shovel instead of a spoon to do it with."  

Raze
on 12/7/09 10:44 am, edited 12/7/09 10:46 am
ah...great question because believe it or not i was gonna make this thread

i THINK i can run now. so why not try? well, i think i will suck

here is the thing...i "powerwalk" really well for someone at my weight and fitness level. been in th gym over the past 6 months, and i see improvement

BUT, i still feel too "heavy" to run / jog. i mean i know i can. but should i and do i need to?

everything still "bounces" and it feels weird to run and bounce around. i hope that will change as more fat comes off

however, back to the question. at what weight did you guys begin to run? did any of you start off walking at first?

and lastly, the walking i have been doing has been very intense. can i remain a "walker" (like a race walker)  exclusively ...or do they "train" by running, too?

thanks

IMO

Duane1064
on 12/7/09 10:52 am - Bloomington, IN
 I started by walking.  I would walk 3.5 miles in about 55 to 60 minutes at first.  I started speeding it up and eventually increasing my distances.  I set my pace goal to walk at 4.0 miles per hour.  Seems that's the pace most of the marathons want you to be able to keep. 

When I started running I weighed about 280 to 300 pounds.  I just started running little bits at a time.  I eventually used the c25k running program.  I would suggest that for you also.  Good luck.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
DANCBJAMMIN
on 12/7/09 12:35 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Start slow and progress consistantly and steady. I started walking a few weeks after surgery at 400 pounds and could barely go for 10 minutes at 2.5mph... that was January last year... I am now able to run pretty well as a result of steady, consistant training. If a marathon is your goal, sign up for one and put it in stone! Best of luck...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Raze
on 12/7/09 1:17 pm
i love reading all this...fantastic stuff

IMO

Scott William
on 12/7/09 8:36 pm
My first post-op exercise was 2.5 mph for 5 minutes at about 365.  I would say that I was jogging within a month or so at 320-325.  As the weight came off the distance got farther.  The pain does throw a wrench into things though.  Sounds like you may need some muscle strengthening around the knee and hip to help with those running stints.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Katari
on 12/7/09 11:04 pm - OR
I started out just walking. Then I started the C25K (couch to 5k) program and I've seen some wonderful results. It starts out with more walking than running(or jogging) and gradually increases the amount of time you job/run. I like it because you can stay or move up according to what you feel is working. I.e. do two weeks of week one, move up to week two, stop again and do two weeks of week 4 etc.

Do you have good running/jogging shoes? I was having some knee aches and pains, but went down to a running store and they took a look at my feet, using a pressure pad and then video taped my feet as I was Jogging on their treadmill. I walked out with new shoes and haven't had problems with my knee as long as I am careful/mindful of not trying to overdo it all at once.
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

Seht
on 12/7/09 11:45 pm
Hey a local girl, welcome to the board.
I guess it would depend on what  you consider running.
I have been moving prior to the surgery, but I'm really only doing a moderate jog at best if you rate it by speed.

Have you tried doing something similar to the couch 2 5k program.
It starts off with very short interval sessions.  I started this at 441 pounds prior to my surgery.
I have gone back and done it a couple times, increasing the speed at which I do it each time I have done it.
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
If you can't do a workout, you do the one from the previous session, and keep doing that until you progress to the next one.  It's not a race it's pretty slow and gentle.  Give yourself time to build up.

Here is an example
Week Workout 1 Workout 2 Workout 3
1 Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.
Let me know if you are ever interested in running or doing a race.  Marie and I have looked for a 3rd person a couple times for local team events.  We wanted to comprise a team of WLS patients.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Niller
on 12/8/09 11:09 pm, edited 12/8/09 11:11 pm
Fantazizing is nice - doing is better!! 

All I do now is walking ... but late I am beginning to feel the need for speed again too - I will however refrain until I am a bit further down in weight and have recovered from my surgery Dec. 18.
I get pain in my knees from my menisci if I do not take it very slowly and gradually increase the length running. More than anything it is important to listen to your joints and pain is signal that we are psuhing too fast. A little soreness in the first month can however be expected. 

I have bought some really good gel and aircushioned running shoes - go to a real runners shop - and make them film you run a bit to find the shoes that support you best - also remember that shoes wear out much faster when we are very overweight and they loose their ability to absorb the shock as much as we need.

Walking is great - walking faster is a start to running - and eventually when you feel like run as little as 15 -20 seconds a few times - and carefully feel how your body and and joints feel. It takes longer for severe overweight people to increase the strength of the muscle, tendons and connective tissue - cartilage and bones. It is individually when we feel ready to push ourselves a little more - it is a process.

I also dream about running again - not long 10-12 miles runs as I did when I was younger - but running up to 45 min would be nice - and this time I think I will focus more on HIT longterm - Not endurance only - when my joints and body tell me I am ready.  (I also do not think I will be able to run much longer) since I fear dehydration and post-op I can't gulp down 2-3 large glasses of water anymore.

If walking is all you can do for now - then walk! - better be patient than being couch and bedbound screaming from pain and kneesurgery,  than taking a little longer time. One of the few advantages of being overweight is that even walking is a lot of work and exercise.

Also starting the initial running on thread mill at the gym may be a good advice . Good pro tread mills absorb the shocks better than concrete or asphalt.

Riding a bike - even a stationary bike may also strengthen your legs and knees a bit - to prepare you for running.

Andrea_1972
on 12/10/09 4:54 pm - WA
NorCalCutie,

I was one of those people who made fun of runners and joggers. Well about 3 weeks after sugery I decided to give it a try. I had tried in the past and it hurt, even at a small weight. I started out walking for a week. Then I jogged slowly, stopping when needed until I made a mile and so on . I am now up to 2 miles without stopping. My goal is 3 miles by Feburary. Get some good shoes and find a pace your body can deal with thats what I had to do.

Good Luck

Andrea

Most Active