Buying an electronic tracking device for exercise

runningagain
on 12/6/09 8:43 am - NY

Hi Everyone,

I want to get a watch-type of gadget to calculate my runs, heart rate, etc.  But, I don't know where to go or what to buy....I want something fairly simple to use that will tell me my mile pace, heart rate, distance ran.  I'd like to be able to use this for cycling as well.  Any advice on what you have?  Thanks.

Tammy

Seht
on 12/6/09 11:54 am
Garmin Forerunner 305 or Garmin Forerunner 310

Absolutely love mine.
Distance, speed/average speed, pace/average pace, heart rate/average heartrate, elevation changes.  Set up for specific training patterns.  These 2 watches do it all.  The 310 is the new model and is more expensive.  It is also waterproof.  The 305 has really come down in price since the 310 came out.

Can get a cadence sensor that attaches to the bike to let you know how fast you are pedaling as well as the speed you are going.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

runningagain
on 12/6/09 8:09 pm - NY

Thank you so much!!  I had no clue what to buy.  This is really helpful.

Tammy

Scott William
on 12/6/09 8:37 pm
I have the Garmin 205 which is your basic GPS watch.  It is awesome.  For the HR monitor, you can get the 305 which is the same as the 205 but has the HR monitor.  I think that there is now a 405 that is smaller and lighter and apparantly has better reception than the 205 and 305.  If I had the $ I'd get one myself.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Duane1064
on 12/6/09 8:44 pm - Bloomington, IN
I have the Garmin 405 and absolutely love it!!!!

Duane 

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Hawgman
on 12/7/09 1:35 am - TX
Garmin is the way to go.
Most Active