Muscle building vs. maintaining

MargieInMI
on 12/5/09 5:46 am - Grand Blanc, MI
First, I'm new to posting to this board, but was told to post here by someone, thanks for the recommendation!

I'm almost 18 months out from lapband and I'm very close to reaching the 100lbs lost mark.  As one of my rewards for reaching a goal, I joined a gym.  I think I've been going about 9 weeks now and in that time I've lost 9 lbs, for which I'm very happy!

I still have more weight to lose and do have loose skin, which I know isn't going away.  I had a PS consult this week.  It's a bit too early, but I needed to know costs and such so I could do some financial planning this year.

My arms have always been an issue (even for my aunts who are normal build).  So I knew once I lost weight, it would be worse.  Well just in the few weeks I've been going I already have some muscle definition in my arms.  (Just for reference, I grew up on a farm and even tho was never thin, I was super muscular due to lifting anywhere from 50 to 100lbs on a regular basis.)They actually are looking nice other than the batwings underneath LOL  The surgeon actually told me to quit doing as much or I'd be too muscular.  I want definition but do NOT want body builder or overly defined arms.

I guess my question is, how much or how often should I work on my arms?  Should I cut back on the amount of weight yet do the same reps 3 days a week?  Or do the same weight, but only 1 day a week?

DANCBJAMMIN
on 12/5/09 7:47 am - Fort Worth, TX
Hey There, and welcome!!!! Generally, if you want a big bulky muscle, heavy weight and low reps is the recipe. For sculpted, defined arms the recipe is low weight hi reps. As a rule of "Thumb", if the muscle group is still sore from your previous workout, you should not work it out again... For your your arms, generally every 3-4 days should be fine. Best of luck and congrats on the century lost!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

MargieInMI
on 12/5/09 7:54 am - Grand Blanc, MI
Thank you!

I only had some aching after the first couple of workouts.  I do push myself and like to see how much I can do, but sounds like it is time to cut back.

And I don't know if I'm using the right term, but muscle fatigue.  Lately in particular it seems to be my thighs.  I was doing very well with 2 reps of 10, but lately it seems as if some days I can barely get through the second set before the muscles feel fatigued.  Could it be due to the fact I missed a few days at the gym due to work/holidays/travel or should I increase my protein intake?

DANCBJAMMIN
on 12/5/09 7:58 am - Fort Worth, TX
Not having enough energy or being fatigued after one set might mean you lifted too much weight, or do not have enough fuel in your body for prolonged excertion. If your desire is to build muscle and tone, you will probably need to be sure to eat plenty and take in lots of protein, probably 65-75 Grams right now....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

MargieInMI
on 12/6/09 7:37 am - Grand Blanc, MI
I get about that amount, may need a bit more, thanks!

Duane1064
on 12/5/09 8:59 am - Bloomington, IN
 Welcome Margie.  See, I told you this was a great place.  Like Dan said, lots of reps and low weight will keep you toned but not bulky.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
MargieInMI
on 12/6/09 7:38 am - Grand Blanc, MI
Thanks, Duane!  I'll definitely be back, this is what I'll need to follow to ask questions and help with my workouts as I advance.

MargieInMI
on 12/6/09 11:15 am - Grand Blanc, MI
Thanks!!

on 12/6/09 9:23 pm - National City, MI
Hi Margie. Just wanted to say welcome to the E&F board! Glad to see you here.
I think you'll find alot of good answers here to all your exercise questions.
Most Active