Cross Post - Cold Weather Exercise Alternatives

Kim Meeks
on 12/4/09 7:10 am - lubbock, TX
I was gonna do the Couch to 5 K program - but, the weather is so cold - and i am just not motivated to get out in the cold weather - so,
i got out that little trampoline that you can "jog" or whatever on

so, do any of you have or use one of these?

please tell me about your activity - i havent exercised much to speak of and dont know where to start?

should i do it first thing in the morning?
more than once daily?
how long?
shoes?
music?
tv?

please advise
thanks
kf

trip to laurie's

Kim Fiveash   
START: 270 /GOAL 150/  Lowest 129 /Current 140 (my new goal is 135 - half of 270=)

MacMadame
on 12/4/09 11:33 am - Northern, CA
I do that sometimes at physical therapy. But it's not really jogging. It's just fun.

I did the entire Couch to 5K program at the gym on a treadmill. Started last year in Dec. and finished in Feb. So it was the coldest time of the year!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

lisalynn
on 12/5/09 6:52 pm - MS
What  is the couch to 5K program?
MacMadame
on 12/6/09 8:40 am - Northern, CA
It's a training plan to go from no running at all to being able to run a 5k. The plan is actually 9 weeks, but it took me longer.

You can read about it here:

http://www.c25k.com

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Rob S.
on 12/5/09 10:24 am - DE
Sorry, I can't be of much help.  I do a lot of indoor spinning classes.  But I run outside year round and up here on the East Coast it gets plenty cold.  I worry more about the lack of lighting than the weather.  I just put on my glittens and a hat and start running.
Rob
saxman007
on 12/5/09 1:45 pm - Port Huron, MI
 Here's a little push in the 'harden up and get it done' camp:
I'm planning a long run starting in about 5 hours, in the DARK and the temp will probably be a high of 26* or so.  Yeah I'm nuts, but I've got the Disney marathon in 6 weeks and the plan says 16 miles (hoping for 10-16) so it's either out in the cold or on a treadmill.  I HATE a treadmill more than the cold :-)
Since I live in Michigan and expect weather like this for the next 3-4 months I can plan accordingly.  I don't know what I'll do if I have to run 15+ miles in 5-10* weather but I'll cross that  bridge when I get to it.  Anything over an hour in sub-zero weather I think will be a big no-no, lol.
On the flip side -- if I had to deal with 3 months of 90-100+ humid weather I'd be asking the same questions!!!
--Dan
Most Active