Suggestions for inexpensive pair of sneakers?

talksoupslp
on 12/1/09 9:22 pm
Well, I'm still exercising my minimum 5 days a week and still not having fun.  Though I will admit, Monday I overslept and didn't get to the gym and felt "off" all day.

Anyway, I've had plantar faciitis problems for years, even did surgery in '04 which seems to have mostly done the trick (except for a flare up this past spring/summer).  Because of that, I buy good sneakers...New Balance and purchase the orthotic they recommend to plantar faciitis sufferers.  I just replaced my everyday sneakers and was thinking I should probably invest in a pair of sneakers specifically for the gym.  I do not want to spend the same kind of money on sneakers for the gym as I do my regular sneakers.  I'm looking at a $40-50 price point.  I want name brand...Reebok do not give me any support...Skechers didn't feel bad but I know nothing about the brand.

Any suggestions?

Highest Weight/Surgery Weight/Current Weight/Goal
426.4/356/216.8/165?
Scott William
on 12/1/09 11:33 pm
If it were running sneaks I would give you the running shoe store lecture but to just use at the gym, I would say that any comfortable shoes would be a good bet. 

Unless you mean that you will be doing treadmill work or other cardio.  Then I would have to revert back to the lecture.  When you go to a running shoe store and find the right pair, you will feel like you are walking on cotton.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
talksoupslp
on 12/2/09 12:52 am
Mainly I do eliptical or sometimes the exercise bike.  I tried to do some Nautilus equipment, but it caused massive pain (I had a session with an exercise physiologist to learn how to use the equipment...but even using it right caused a pain flare for me).

I just know that I don't want no-name brand athletic shoes that one might pick up at WalMart since they provide me no support.  And I don't want to get another pair of what I usually wear because I don't want to spend $100 on a pair of sneakers for the gym.  I'll just have to keep looking to find what feels the most comfortable and gives the most support.

Maybe I'll go back to the New Balance store (which is where I usually buy my sneakers) and look at the clearance area.

Thank you for the help!

426.4/356/216.8/165?
Raze
on 12/2/09 10:35 am, edited 12/2/09 10:37 am
well, sry to hear about the walmart thing bcuz i was just gonna recommend Starter brand from walmart

Nike bought Starter a few years back to sell shoes at Walmart because while they wanted Walmart customers, they didn't want associated brand image. so they bought Starter to sell shoes at Walmart. a Starter running shoe is now like a "budget Nike"

i can only recommend them because its the only shoe i have used since going to the gym. i have a large foot (13) and am able to get Men's Starter  "Carson" running shoes with a wide width for $20. these shoes last me for 4-6 months of regualr treadmill work. might last longer, but a corn i have at the bottom of one foot wore an insole out prematurley

but anyway, if not for you....maybe someone else can benefit from my info?  i was just getting a "test" shoe for my treadmill work. something cheap. ended up a keeper. very, very comfortable and supportive

shoes are $20-$30, and know Nike's actual suggested retail for  them is $30 - $40. its Walmart that discounts them so sharply

IMO

talksoupslp
on 12/2/09 8:42 pm
Interesting information.  I will check into them.  I too have a large foot (size 13 women's) and usually have to buy men's sneakers.  Depending on the manufacturer, I wear somewhere between an 11 1/2 - 12 1/2 mens.

426.4/356/216.8/165?
Donna R.
on 12/2/09 11:26 am - Northwest, GA
Noticed you have plantar fasiitis.  Have you been told you have a high arch?  My podiatrist recommended Saucony or Asics with a 3/4 length Softsol insole.  I had always worn New Balance and liked them, but he said with a high arch and P.F. they weren't the best for my foot. Anyway at the time, Sports Authority had some on clearance, half the price they would have normally been. 

Sounds like you've had alot of experience with P.F. you probably know what's best for your foot.  Just thought I'd give you my experience.

Happy Shoe Hunting!
Donna                     
talksoupslp
on 12/2/09 8:45 pm
No, actually, I think I have a pretty low arch.  My doctor likes me in the New Balance. 

And yes, I have had more than my share of experience with PF.  We did all the conservative methods to "fix" it for 1 1/2 yrs and I finally looked at the doc and said "Please just do the surgery".  I also have autoimmune/connective tissue disease...and PF is a connective tissue issue.  So, I'm sure my other stuff played a role in why we just couldn't get it to go away.

426.4/356/216.8/165?
DANCBJAMMIN
on 12/2/09 1:04 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Stay away from shoes that don't allow your foot to breathe, this will help avoid athletes foot... Unlike these: This is a shoe that probably was used to run on asphalt in Arizona in August...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Cassie W.
on 12/3/09 4:27 am
You may be able to find your favorite New Balance shoes online at a discount this time of year, if the model is being updated.  I typically get my running shoes at the end of the model year from www.roadrunnersports.com or www.runningwarehouse.com.

Saves me a lot of money.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

talksoupslp
on 12/3/09 8:34 pm
I will check out those websites.  Thanks for the links!
-Elli

426.4/356/216.8/165?
Most Active