Gasping Gobbler 5K

Michelle B.
on 12/1/09 4:03 am, edited 12/1/09 4:04 am - Augusta, ME

I ran a 5K on Thanksgiving morning.  I have not run a lot lately due to the cyclocross racing I was doing.  I was little worried about how it would all go.  I have also had a hard time trying to fit in running time with 4 kids all active with sports and school activities. 
I had not run a 5K yet.  I did a 10mile trail run in the spring.  I was looking forward to a shorter race.

The race started at 830am.  There were 254 runners.  I was amazed at the turn out.  It was 44 degrees out.  Pretty warm for a Thanksgiving morning in Maine.  LOL.    My goal was to finish the race in under 30 mins.  I tried to follow all the advice I had heard about not starting out too fast.  I messed up my watch so I did not know my time.  I just found a comfortable pace and went with it.  There were 2 hills that really did a lot of people in.  I passed many people walking.   I picked up the pace near what I thought was the end.  I was never  athletic as a kid and never knew I had a competitive streak in me.  I loved running past people and even sprinted past a guy to the finish.  My final time was 27:04.  I was so amazed.  I exceeded my  goal!!!  I had so much fun.  I can't wait to run another race.  My running coach says there are some races throughout the winter.  I want to try some.  Should be interesting in all the snow!!!! 

DANCBJAMMIN
on 12/1/09 4:17 am - Fort Worth, TX
Very cool Michelle! Congrats on a great race and if the temperature is below my age, it's treadmill time! lol ... Great job!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Seht
on 12/1/09 4:36 am
Congrats on your race.

Sounds like it was a good day!

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Livewell
on 12/1/09 7:59 am - Chatham, NJ
Awesome job, Michelle!  Not sure about the whole winter snow running thing, though . . . I am getting the chills just thinking about it.

Cassie W.
on 12/1/09 8:55 am
Congratulations Michelle!  Your cyclocross fitness levels definitely transferred well to the run.

I from Upstate New York and actually enjoy running through the winter.  I avoid icy roads, but don't have any problem running on firmly packed snow.  It's so peaceful and beautiful with the snow frosting the trees.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Hawgman
on 12/1/09 10:20 pm - TX
Congrats on the new PR. 
I look forward to hearing more race reports from you this winter.

Darrell
on 12/2/09 2:24 am - National City, MI
Great job! Isn't it a good feeling to pass all those people who are walking? I love catching people just before the finish line. They get this look on their face like "Whoa, I just got beat by the fat guy". Makes me feel good every time! 
mcarthur01
on 12/2/09 2:34 am - Cumming, GA
awesome job, and GREAT time!  i love PR's...
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Most Active