Working out Vs Skin

joe01880
on 11/30/09 12:58 pm - Wakefield, MA

Hello all, im new to posting in this forum but i am wondering if there is any catching up to the excess skin from WLS.

I have been walking since surgery on 8-25 up to 3 miles. I joined a gym 4 weeks ago and am working out 4 days a week with a routine give me by the trainer at the gym. I work out from between 2.5 to 3 hours each visit. An example, today for instance I walked 2 miles to warm up then hit the machines and universal equipment for the next 1 and 3/4 hours then rode the bike for 3 miles. Total time 2.5 hours. I am working all main muscle groups on alternating days throwing in crunches everyday i am there. Is there any catching up to the excess skin? I am down 94 pounds with about 65 more to go and if i keep losing this rapidly i can see the skin becoing a problem and yes, my doctor told me about excess skin but im just wondering if the exercise will help me stay ahead of the game.

Thanks for any replys in advance,

Joe

Joe Was Here 

Failure is not an option!

Linn D.
on 11/30/09 7:13 pm - Missoula, MT
Exercise helps everything, but it won't solve the problem.  A lot of people wear compression clothing and that helps a lot with the jiggling, but most people's skin just doesn't recover.  I've been an avid exerciser for 5 years and still would be much better off if I had some PS.

Linn 
Seht
on 11/30/09 10:35 pm
Unfortunately skin isn't a muscle, you can't exercise it.  You can build some muscle under it to take up some slack but it's unlikely that you could build up enough muscle to replace the fat that was there in the first place.

Some people recover from the extra skin and some don't.  It seems to be a combination of genetics, how long and how much you were overweight.

For most people it's either live with it or get plastic surgery to have it removed.

Good luck

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MacMadame
on 12/1/09 12:08 am - Northern, CA
Your skin should continue to be reabsorbed for anywhere from 3 months to 2 years after your weight stabilizes, but at some point it's going to be as tight as it's going to be. Damaged skin is least likely to snap back.

If you look in my profile, I have some pix of my arms unflexed with loose skin and flexed where you can't see the wrinkles (but I still have some batwings) to give you an idea of what exercise can and cannot do for you.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

DANCBJAMMIN
on 12/1/09 4:22 am - Fort Worth, TX
Yeah boss... Skin is part of this whole thing. Get it lopped off or get some compression and live with it, its all good!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

levittown_loser
on 12/2/09 9:42 pm - Levittown, PA
Simply put ... you can't lose over 100lbs and not end up with lose skin.

You either deal with it.  Or get it cut off.

Dealing with it on the way down (or after) is accomplished by wearing compression tops and bottoms during workouts.  Heck ... sometimes I wear compression gear with certain outfits as well if it shows a roll of skin.  

I go with the cheap Starter brand walmart sells.  It has worked for me so far and at $10.00 for a top ... $10.00 for a bottom you can't beat it.

Tom

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

MIDDLE MAN
on 12/3/09 3:28 am - GA
what is compression clothing?

ATL STAND UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEIZE THE MOMENT!!  LIGHTS , CAMERA , ACTION
                                                     125 TOTAL LOST

levittown_loser
on 12/3/09 3:35 am - Levittown, PA
I guess it's commonly called "spandex"

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Most Active