Half Marathon

Alli14ppfk
on 11/30/09 7:50 am - Buffalo, NY
So I got way ahead of myself and registered for a half marathon in Disney for October 1, 2010.  I havent even started running yet! I am deathly afraid of the treadmill (at least running on it) and it's winter here in Buffalo so I obviously can't run outside. If I start running in March is it realistic to do the half marathon in October? (even if I have to walk some of it?) I am a person that needs a goal to work towards in order to get my butt in gear. Any suggestions?
Open RNY Gastric Bypass February 16, 2009
Fleur di lis abdominoplasty June 5, 2010
Mastoplexy Scheduled for February 28, 2011

SW 296/Surgeon's Goal 196/My Goal 175    

Seht
on 11/30/09 8:32 am
Go online and look for a training plan.
There are lots of them out there.
Some are more agressive than others.
Find one that give you the right amount of time to train.  Start with your event and count back to see if you can complete the training plan and when you would have to start it.

Here is a 12 week program, but it assumes you can already run 3 miles at a time.
http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

So.... if you can already run 3 miles, it's more than enough time.
If you can't then you have that extra time in the beginning to get up to 3 miles.

You can get through that with a program like couch 2 5k or something.

Good luck and have fun.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Duane1064
on 11/30/09 9:47 am - Bloomington, IN
 My wife and I are wanting to run that half too.  Disney is her favorite place.  I think that you have plenty of time to prepare for the Disney Half Marathon.  Good luck.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Cassie W.
on 11/30/09 10:22 am
If it's convenient for you, Fleet Feet in Buffalo has a 5K program that starts in March to prepare new runners for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure – June 12.  It would give you a structured group to run with for your base.  Then you could pick up a half marathon training program.  You definitely have enough time to prepare.  Here's the link to the No Boundaries program:  www.fleetfeetbuffalo.com/no-boundaries-5k-program

If you can't get used to running on the treadmill, you can still do a fast walk and add an incline to get the time on your legs.

You'll have a great time with the Disney half!

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Samantha B.
on 11/30/09 9:58 pm - welland, Canada
That is so great!  I did the turkey trot, now i'm like I can do that, whats next.  I don't mind running- but a half marathon just sounds like SO much- but I too would need something to push myself towards and really plan towards.  Thats almost a year away- you can totally do it- even if you have to walk some, its a HUGE accomplishment to even commit to it!  I am so envious!  If we had one closer I would totally sign up for it.  As soon as I find one close enough I'll be signed up for one as well!  But just push yourself, do some interval training,  Even go to synergy a few days and have the trainers help, they are great!  Good luck!  I'm so proud of you!  You should be proud of yourself too! 

Heaviest~ 286 Surgery ~ 265  Current ~ 163 Goal~ 145-154   BabyFruit Ticker       

Livewell
on 12/1/09 2:02 am - Chatham, NJ
The very best way to achieve a goal is to actually set one in the first place.  You can definitely train up in time if you focus.  But, even if you wind up walking most of the way, it is still an incredible accomplishment to finish a half marathon and to do all of the training required to get there.  Good luck!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 12/1/09 4:24 am - Fort Worth, TX
I went from not being able to walk for 10 minutes 5 weeks post-op to running a full marathon in 11 months and finished in 4:52:-- ! You got this, just be cautious and listen to your body! Best of luck.... Dan
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Most Active