WLS, running and races

Tim M.
on 11/28/09 6:57 am - Hagerstown, MD
So, I've been an on and off runner for a while now. I noticed post op that I needed to really tweak my nutrition when I was running. For example I do best when I have a gatorade for my longer run times even though I didn't pre-op. I am a beginner runner but out of curiosity I'm wondering what you guys have to do to maintain yourselves for longer runs, 5k's, halfs, etc. Gels more often than others or dosen't everbody have this issue.

Original BMI Pre-op= 47.7
BMI = 28.0
Currently lifting weights to gain muscle

kerniec
on 11/28/09 10:44 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
I haven't done the "longer" races yet but I read a great article on this site about how if you are post-op WLS and eating a lower than "normal RDA" carb diet, the glycogen rule of a one hour workout or less not needing carbs during and immediately after does not apply........

I'm definitely going to experiment with this as I rehab and increase my distance and workout lengths, I tend to get nauseous during my harder workouts especially in warmer temps and I think it's carbs or the need thereof, it's definitely not dehydration, I drink a ton of water anytime.

I know Marie had the sleeve and uses gels with races, she's a TRI though.  I think we each have to adapt and throw out the "sugar" rules as we become more athletic and figure out what our bodies need and will allow us to use during those times.   I find after a 5K I don't want anything at first, just fluids, but then I'm running for the cookies, not sure if that's because I need carbs or because I know they won't get "stuck" in public. Bananas are dangerous with the band, I have to eat them way to carefully to eat one after a race.  Sometimes they offer chips and pretzels for sodium replacement but the thought of eating them after a race makes me sick, but I can eat cookies........I dunno what that's about in my head!

I read the best post workout drinks are chocolate milk (I prefer SF) and chicken broth. 

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

MacMadame
on 11/28/09 12:37 pm - Northern, CA
I don't use gels when I run. I can't do anything but liquids on the run for some reason. But I can eat anything I want to on the bike.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Linn D.
on 11/28/09 2:20 pm - Missoula, MT
I think it's important to note that MacMadame fuels very differently than many of us do.  There is no way that I could follow a typical bariatric diet and make any gains.

I DO follow the 4:1 carb:protein rule within 30-60 minutes after exercise.  I started doing this once I started researching recovery (because my late week workouts totally sucked) and I don't believe it has anything to do with WLS, it's basic physiology.  Many people need fuel before and during intense workouts, but I've actually found that I don't as long as I've been doing my recovery eating.  I HAVE read that it's possible to train your body to build glycogen stores, and I also think it's possible, but what works for you will take some trial and error to figure out.  We've all taken some time to figure out what works best for us as individuals.  

I don't use any fuel or water for races half marathon or shorter (including sprint tris), but I also think I'm very unusual in that.  When I first started running, though, I did use yogurt or oatmeal in the mornings before a run, and that seemed to help quite a bit.

Have fun with it, and I hope you figure out what works best for you.

Linn
levittown_loser
on 11/28/09 8:29 pm - Levittown, PA
Up to a half I don't really do anything special to prepare for a race as far as pre-race nutrition goes.  

Anything lasting more than an hour I use gels during the run.  Usually 1 every 45-60 mins.    I also use Electrolyte tabs (Hammer Nutrition Endurolytes) every hour and drink plenty of water.    I've not found electrolye drinks like gatorade measureable to aid in keeping my levels constant.   I like using the tabs and pick up water when needed. 

You and I have our pyloric valves still so we have no problems with dumping from the gels, beans or whatever you choose to use.   This is a good thing.   Just pick up some products and give them a try to see what works for you.

Overall I think hydration is more important for us now post op then pre op.   Dehydration can happen must faster.

Tom

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Scott William
on 11/28/09 10:49 pm
I am 4 years post-op, have run 4 marathons, 12 halfs and about 40 other races and I still don't know what works for me.  There are new discoveries every day.  There have been times when I would take a ham sandwich on a LR because that was the only thing that I could handle.  I have also take oatmeal cookies.  Mostly, I rely on powerade which screws me up sometimes.  Other times, it's fine.  When I was newly post-op gels were okay most of the time.  Now, not so much.  Energy beans also work if I only have about one a mile.  Otherwise, I'm looking for a bathroom.  Goog luck in your quest.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
mcarthur01
on 11/29/09 3:52 am - Cumming, GA
gels work well for me during races, i typically will take them every half hour to an hour (plus one right before the race) depending on the race.  i noticed that i can bonk pretty easily if i don't fuel properly before training and racing including hydration.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

MacMadame
on 11/29/09 6:04 am - Northern, CA
I don't really think I eat that much differently from most WLS patients. I have a piece of fruit or some carrots before an intense/long workout, drink sports drinks that are mostly carbs on long bike rides and runs, and eat something with a combo of carbs and protein afterwards just like most people here.

One thing I have found is that my body prefers protein. When I consume something like a pure carb gel, it often doesn't stay with me for very long. But, if I use an Accel gel which has a dab of protein in it, that works better. Something like trail mix or cheese sticks (which I can do on the bike, but not the run) works even better.

I do eat like a bariatric patient outside of my fueling. I follow the protein first rule with my meals and make my snacks protein-based as much as possible. (But not entirely because I try to get 5 servings of fruit and/or veggies a day so that means some snacks are things like baby carrots.)

In Oct. this worked out to about 25% of my calories from protein, which is within the recommendations of a lot of nutritionists. 40% were from carbs and 35% were from fats. That's an average of 204 g of carbs a day, which is not really a low carb diet, either. I do eat more fat than recommended, but my cholesterol is awesome and my EKG and cardiac stress test pre-op showed my heart to be very healthy.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Tim M.
on 11/29/09 10:27 am - Hagerstown, MD
Thanks for the feedback everyone! It's a learning experience when it comes to eating properly for running and take into account WLS.

Original BMI Pre-op= 47.7
BMI = 28.0
Currently lifting weights to gain muscle

Seht
on 11/29/09 10:41 pm
I mix my gels into my water or sports drink.
When running I can't really eat and run, eating and drinking is hard enough without choking.

I like using a couple ounces of water, a couple ounces of gel and a a few ounces of water and then a nuun electrolyte tablet. 

You can also check out infinit they make a custom beverage suited to your needs.  You can dictate the carbs/protein/electrolytes in the drink and they mix it for you.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active