Atlanta Half Marathon Race Report

mcarthur01
on 11/26/09 4:46 am - Cumming, GA
So i finished my first half this morning, and man i feel great.  This race is awesome, there were over 8,500 finishers of the half marathon and the course is a point to point course that runs through downtown Atlanta all the way down peachtree drive, gorgeous.   i had a goal in mind, break 2 hours.  well i didn't quite make the goal, but i don't feel a bit worried about it as i have been nervous about just finishing with my chronic knee issues this fall.  in fact the only run i had ever done over 8.5 miles was a 10 mile treadmill session on sunday.

the race started @ 7 am, and it starts close to a MARTA (ATL's version of a subway) station, everybody takes MARTA to the start so it was a bit hairy just getting to the corral, but i finally made it in as they were singing the national anthem.  i signed up for a pace group (2:00), but couldn't find it with all the people so i just ran my own race.  i didn't have my garmin with me or any watch for that matter, so my pace was all about feeling comfortable.  this is definiteliy the way to go, i wasn't stressed, i didn't push too hard, and i ran every step of the 13.1 miles without stopping.  i wore a fuel belt, so i didn't even slow down at the aid stations.  i had to wizz like crazy at the end though :)

anyway, my official time was 2:01:42, missed my goal by less than 2 minutes!  but i don't care, i had a great time and ran the race smiling the whole time.  awesome.  awesome.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Cassie W.
on 11/26/09 7:57 am
Congratulations Bill!  What a way to celebrate Thanksgiving! It sounds like you were able to find the right formula of training and rest to keep the knee functional for the event.  I may just have to try running without the Garmin and let the body be my guide.

Savor every moment of your accomplishment!

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Duane1064
on 11/26/09 8:52 am - Bloomington, IN
 Way to go Bill.  How awesome!  I've been in Atlanta quite a few times and think that would be a fun half marathon to run.  I'd feel totally out of sorts without my Garmin or even just a watch.  You didn't turn in a bad time at all.  My wife and I are shooting for 2:30 on our next half marathon.  Great report.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Seht
on 11/26/09 10:24 am
Way to go, happy Thanksgiving and congrats on your successful day today.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Hawgman
on 11/26/09 9:57 pm - TX
Way to go, Bill!

I think it is a great point about running without the watch.  Going back to the basics!!'

Love it.

levittown_loser
on 11/27/09 12:30 am - Levittown, PA
2:01 is awesome Bill!  Congrats for your first Half.  The first is always a PR

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 11/27/09 1:05 am - Fort Worth, TX
Great race bro!!! Congrats on this milestone....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

kerniec
on 11/27/09 2:24 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
Bill

That's awesome and really encouraging for someone like me who has NO gear no stuff, none of that.  I'm poor in the strongest sense of the word, so I'm going it bare bones as I try to figure out how to cross train and all that..........you did wonderful and should be so proud!

congrats, here's hoping with my knee issues that I can complete a half in April!  I haven't registered because I'm afraid.........but it's a lot cheaper, should I just sign up and take my chances that I have to walk it??

Let me know what you would do.........I'm actively seeing a chiropractor and doing my rehab at home too.  And going to swim one day a week and hopefully ride my SIL stationary bike.........

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

mcarthur01
on 11/28/09 2:23 am - Cumming, GA
if it was me, i'd sign up for it and train.  i've had great success slowing down my running training and upping my spinning/biking, my fitness level hasn't diminished and my knee feels better.  it's still rough on the long runs, but the short ones (5 to 7k) don't have any pain.  definitely listen to your body, if it hurts too much as in sharp pain, meter it down or stop, if it is your head saying you want to quit and not your body, then push through.  the trick is not mixing up head and body pain.

you don't want to know how i feel about chiro :)

good luck and let us know how you're doing.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

shane614
on 11/27/09 8:38 am - elgin, IL
 bill,

You beat me by 2 minutes.  Great work.  I loved the course and will probably come back down here next year to run it again to break the 2 hour mark.

again way to go.

shane
Most Active