Focus on the positive---Newbies stretching is important

kerniec
on 11/23/09 12:14 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
No fractures, no tears, no major injuries.

Just IT band issues, hamstring cramping (hydration and potassium good), and a good case of runner's knee ( Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome)........no shin splints. 

Seen chiropractor three times now, tomorrow's my next appt, he wanted me to walk and try to run.  I hadn't read the article I just read and I tried to run a little downhill and now I just read to avoid all downhill running, now I know WHY I injured it so badly nearly two weeks ago, it was when I was sprinting hills, I never made the bloody connection what an idiot I am..................I was trying to do different types of training, but well, not that type for some time now! 

Anyways the new shoes feel great and I can probably get some orthotics ordered too.  And I am sure one day I will run again, he says soon, give it a few weeks.  I'm not going to try to run any of the Turkey Trot after feeling those sharp pains in the left knee and then dull ache in both later.  I accept that my knees don't want to run right now.  Combination of overtraining, understretching, too much distance specifically and not stretching the IT band properly..........all brought me here. 

Learn how to strengthen the quadriceps to support your patella.  Learn where and how to stretch your IT band.  Learn how to stretch your hamstrings properly..........do all of these all the time.........I learned my lesson too late and now I am stuck walking and dieting.  Sigh.  The positive is that I can walk.  Walking feels ok IF I don't run first. 

Gotta get that bicycle fixed, I've never really ridden it, ever since it was purchased a gazillion years ago.  Going to the rec center to see about swimming too........at least on Wednesdays. 

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

Scott William
on 11/23/09 11:08 pm
When I started training for my first marathon in 06, I  ended up at the physical therapist after seeing my primary doc, knee specailist and getting an MRI.  It was a pretty simple overuse injury.  After a month or so of different leg strengthening exercises, all was better and I was fine to complete a Jan '07 marathon. 

After surgery, we have a tendancy to want to do so much and tear into exercise.  For some, it's fine.  For others it doesn't work out so well.  Cross training is a great idea and strength training for the legs helps too.  Leg extensions, 1 leg 1/4 squats and leg presses are a good start.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
kerniec
on 11/23/09 11:50 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
Scott

thanks........I've only been seriously running since the first week of September.  Before that, it was so slow as to be walking and trying to get there but it was really hard physically, especially my lungs.  Then I had a different surgery which required me to take off for six weeks and I started over with an aggressive program and I made it to a 9/26 5K race with small walking intervals then a 5K on 10/27 (by then I was running 4 miles training) which was a PR which I ran entirely..........then overtrained at the 5 mile distance (too many runs, too many distance runs) learned my lesson but my knees are still paying for it.

So now I have to be patient and walk my race.  It's not easy for me, but I am glad it appears my knees will let me walk, it beats doing nothing but eating that day!

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

Most Active