Philadelphia Marathon Race Report

levittown_loser
on 11/23/09 12:04 am, edited 11/23/09 12:23 am - Levittown, PA
Philadelphia Marathon   Sunday November 22, 2009

So after 6 months of training I headed down to the expo Friday night to officially start the race weekend.  I got my bib and shirt and race gloves.  I had originally registered to finish 4:30-5:00 but planned on trying to run with the 4:15 pace group so I got a corral change completed.   I loved they had our names printed on our bibs as I had planned on wearing my name for race encouragement anyway. 

Saturday was a day of rest and relaxation.  I went to bed around 8:30 PM as I planned on getting up by 4AM.   I woke up around midnight wide away thinking of the race ahead.  I was able to fall back asleep and before I knew it the alarm was going off and it was time to start my pre long run / race routine.  I wore Zensa compression sleeves to help with the calf cramping I had had during some longer runs ... compression gear top and bottom, thin tights and a long sleeve tech shirt.  Temps were in the 40's.

At 5 AM I headed out the door to head downtown for my first full marathon.   I was surprisingly very calm and felt ready.   By 6 AM I had parked and walked to the Rocky Statue at the Philadelphia Art Museum where I met up with my marathon training club for some pictures and last minute encouragement.  I trained with USA Fit (Philly) which is a great program around the country to prepare you for your first marathon.   http://usafit.com/ 

Race start time was 7 AM.  It was a chilly morning and I had some throw away clothes on to keep warm until the start.  I found my pace group (4:15) and soon enough we were on our way!  I ran the first half though though Center City Philadelphia about 2 mins ahead of pace.   About mile 5 our pace leader got tripped and fell pretty hard. She didn't rejoin us until mile 9 or so right when we were hitting the only hills on the course. 

I hit the half at 2:06 and was feeling pretty good.  I saw my family and was ready to hit the out and back of the second half along the Schuylkill river to Manyunk.   About mile 16 I felt nauseated and a headache started brewing.  I slowed down a bit and watched my pace group pull away.   I was OK with this and decided at that point I just wanted to beat Oprah!  (4:29:20)

From there the race totally became mental for me.  My legs were feeling heavy and I was not feeling to bad anymore except the headache tried to push on alone.   The crowds were great and I did appreciate hearing my name and encouraging words.   By mile 18 the head totally took over.  I was watching people walking and talked myself into doing the same.   I tried to keep it short though and did walk run for a while.  I wasn't timing anything, just running till my head said stop and then walked till I felt I could go again.   Around mile 23 I was at my worst but was on a very familiar part of the course.  I knew mentally how much further I had to go.  What landmarks were coming and I was ready to give it all I could to get in and finish as strong as I could and pull some negative splits.  I came across the 4:30 pace group and heard them saying they would finish at 4:29.  I was ready to pull it in.  (more on this later)   I went from a 12:58 pace to a 10:32 during mile 26.    I was able to run that last mile totally zoned out being pushed by the crowds cheers and cowbells.  My finish was offically 4:35:43 - Not making the 4:29 as hoping because DUH TOM ... you started before them!!  LOL.  I told you I was zoned out not thinking clearly.   So I didn't beat Oprah and I'm ok with that.  I finished my first full marathon.  It's done.  I'm a marathon finisher.   I FELT AMAZING!   My body was ok.  I could walk.  My head was pounding. But I was happy.  I met up with my family for pictures and it started to sink in that the grief I went through getting to the finished was 90% mental.   I need to work on that before my March Shamrock Marathon in Virginia Beach. 

Thanks for reading.  Here are some pictures of the day. 
Tom

AND ... SOOOOO Happy to be FINISHED!! 

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Seht
on 11/23/09 1:02 am
Nice finishers medal.  Congrats on fighting through and finishing this race.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Judi J.
on 11/23/09 1:04 am - MN
congratulations Tom that is such an accomplishment!

love that you were able to speed up on the last mile, congrats! (and Oprah is toast on your next marathon!)
Hawgman
on 11/23/09 1:23 am - TX

WAY TO GO TOM!!

Hearing from a first timer is really inspirational to me since my first marathon is two weeks from Sunday in Dallas.

Congratulations and revel in what you have accomplished!!!  Recuperate will my friend.

Darrell

levittown_loser
on 11/23/09 8:13 am - Levittown, PA
I'm sure you will do great Darrell.  And hey ... your first is always a PR!

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Duane1064
on 11/23/09 2:28 am - Bloomington, IN
 Tom, way to go!  You stayed with it and made it through.  It's amazing what the mind can do.  It can make you do things when your body says it can't and it can stop you from doing things when you know your body can.  

Duane 

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
mcarthur01
on 11/23/09 4:27 am - Cumming, GA
nice report! and congrats, it looks like you enjoyed the experience despite the head-ache issues.  bummer about not beating oprah :)....
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Elisa K.
on 11/23/09 8:12 am - Lumberton, NJ
Awesome job Tom!!   

I ran the half - I agree - the crowds were great!!  I high-fived a colonial guy, some drunk frat boys, and the crazy dancing costumed people at the turnaround in the park!  I do love racing in Philly!!

I really do appreciate everyone's race report.  I wish I had that much clarity while racing.  The only thought I had on my mind, was that I was going to get a pretzel at the finish - and I did : )
Rob S.
on 11/23/09 8:46 am - DE
Great job in a great race.  What an awesome accomplishment.  Doesn't it just amaze you that you have the opportunity to race in these events.  Keep rolling...
Rob
Brian W.
on 11/23/09 8:55 am - Belmont, CA
Congrats Tom, you rocked it!

I can only dream about that time.  On to the next one...

Brian
~350
Most Active