Toenail

Duane1064
on 11/22/09 10:35 am - Bloomington, IN
 Ok. beside the hamstring issue that I've posted about I also have an issue with the toenail on my left foot, second toe.  When I was training for my half marathon one day I did a ten mile run.  Later that night I noticed that my toenail looked like it had blood under it.  It's been about a month since that happened and it's not any better or any worse.  The nail is still growing as I've had to trim the nail.  I had no trauma to the nail that I'm aware of.  Is this a common runners ailment?

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Seht
on 11/22/09 3:36 pm
Yes black toenail or blood under it is common,  There is even an article on how to lace your shoes to help prevent this.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334 -0,00.html

The second video in this article talks about the black toenail from running.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Brian W.
on 11/22/09 4:10 pm - Belmont, CA
Yep, its common, especially if your 2nd toe is longer than the Big Toe (aka Morton's Toe).

I use a pair of gel toe caps when I run.  If you start protecting the nail, it will heal on its own, but it'll take several months. Key is to prevent further injury to the nail so you don't lose it.

Brian
~350
Duane1064
on 11/22/09 9:32 pm - Bloomington, IN
 Thanks Scott and Brian, I'd never heard that this could be an issue for runners.  I thought that one of the dogs had stepped on it or I'd hit it against something during the night while going to the bathroom.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Scott William
on 11/22/09 9:52 pm
IMG_0765.jpg image by scoolover

my toe after my first marathon.  there was no issue during training though. 
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Cassie W.
on 11/23/09 11:32 am
I haven't had a pedicure in 2 years because I can't seem to keep my toenails intact during a marathon.  I'll have to look into the lacing techniques and gel caps.  I miss my pedicures.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Most Active