Help Hamstring Issues

Duane1064
on 11/22/09 4:11 am - Bloomington, IN
Since my half marathon two weeks ago I've been having some bad cramps in my right hamstring when I walk, jog, or run.  Let me break this down.

1.   No issues at all before or during the half marathon.
2.   Went for a two mile walk the day after the half marathon with no issues.
3.   Took the rest of the week off to rest.
4.   A week after the half I went to run/jog/walk and started cramping less than a quarter mile into         it.
5.   I've not injured myself nor have I had any kind of trauma to my leg recently.
6.   My shoes are in good shape, properly fitted and not broken down.
7.   I stretch properly before and after my workouts.
8.   I get proper vitamins and minerals, especially (K) Potassium.
9.   I've not changed my gait, stride or tempo.
10. I wear good compression shorts, pants.

I'm at a stand still.  I don' know what to do.  I don't know what caused these cramps.  I do know that I don't like being able to not get out and run....doesn't fit into my plans at all.
Thanks for any help that you guys can give me.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
levittown_loser
on 11/22/09 10:39 am - Levittown, PA
Hi Duane,

If you have been hurting this long you should probably get it checked out.   Are you sure it's your hamstring and not the iliotibial band?

Tom

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Brian W.
on 11/22/09 4:16 pm - Belmont, CA
I think its probably an overuse injury.  I had the same thing,  run a 2 miles, then bam, hamstring would seize up.  In addition to extra stretching, have you tried working it out on a low impact machine like the eliptical or doing some pool walking?  Doing those things may help.

Also, after a half-marathon or greater, it is good to do a week or two of recovery runs,  3-6 mile runs at an easy pace that stretches out the muscles.  Stopping cold turkey, in some cases, may cause them to get stiff, then when you start running again, you're more suspectible to injury.

Brian
~350
Duane1064
on 11/22/09 9:40 pm - Bloomington, IN
 I've done some biking and elliptical work with no problems.  I was afraid that I should have done more post marathon but didn't want to push things.  I think that I'll keep stretching and just start rebuilding by doing some walking and go from there.  Maybe use the c25k program to get it rehabbed.

Duane 

I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Cassie W.
on 11/23/09 10:52 am
Duane, sorry to hear about your hamstring.  How is your hydration?  Dehydration could be contributing to your cramping. 

I'm rehabbing a pulled hamstring and my PT is having me do eccentric exercises to stretch it.  I put a 10 lb weight on my ankle and lay on my stomach.  My husband/son lifts the ankle so my lower leg forms a 90-degree angle with my upper leg, then I lower the weight slowly.  I do 20 repetitions twice a day.

I've been able to protect my endurance through spinning/biking since I pulled in back in September.  It's taken time to heal, but I was able to run 9 slow miles Sunday.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Duane1064
on 11/23/09 7:16 pm - Bloomington, IN
Cassie, glad to hear that you're rehab is going well.  I'd thought of you when this all started up.  I read your post about Sunday and was glad for you.  It really stinks when you train so hard only to be taken down by something like a pull.

I'm getting plenty of fluids.  I get all of my vitamins in each day.  The only thing that I can figure is that when it first started instead of walking to warm up I started with a slow jog.  My knee felt unstable and maybe I was over compensating for the knee and put a strain on the hamstring.

I walked five miles yesterday.  It was bothersome in the beginning but it let up some at about the half way mark.  I'll just keep stretching and slowly build back up I guess.

Duane

Most Active