Achilles Tendonitis of DOOM

Waterwench
on 11/21/09 1:01 am - portland, OR
Okay, yes, I admit that for the last several weeks I have been tackling hills right and left. I HAD to--I had done the flat routes a million times and I was BORED. I really had no choice, right???
Oh, how wrong I was!

So a few days ago I am nearly done with my 6 mile run and BAM! Achilles and ankle pain on an epic, practically Biblical scale. I made it home and iced, elevated, rested for two days. Except I still had to use the foot because I work 12-hour night shifts as a nurse, and we are on our feet a lot.

After two days I tried to run again and it was just no-go. So, it's back to the drawing board: cross-training, rest, ice, compression, elevation, anti-inflammatories. Plus I found some additional exercises to strengthen my feet and ankles which I am making part of my regimen.

I am not liking cross-training, but I am doing it because I don't want to lose fitness while I am waiting for my tendon to heal! From now on I won't make the same mistake about hills--if I can't find other flat routes then I'll just have to do the Dreadmill.

Does anyone else have a "I should have known better" training/exercise story? I'd love to hear them--might make me feel better! :)

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

Cassie W.
on 11/21/09 9:50 am
So sorry to hear about your Achilles.  I've succumbed to overuse injuries twice now because it feels so good to knock down barriers until they knock me down.

Last year I missed a marathon due to an IT band injury.  I ran a half marathon too hard and had to cross-train for 2.5 months before I could resume running.  It was a great half marathon!

This year, I think I was just putting in too much mileage without enough rest.  I injured my hamstring at my third marathon for the year and damaged it further when I tried to run my fourth a month later.  I'm still doing PT three times a week. My coach said it took him 8 months to recover from his pulled hamstring.  Not something I wanted to hear.  So, I'm spinning a lot and running some as allowed by my PT.

I love the spin classes as an alternative to running.   Swimming, not so much.  So, I think the key is to find something that'll hold you over 'til you can get back on the road.  I miss the social interaction from running, so the class environment was a good substitute.

Take care of that achilles and know that you can protect your fitness and recover.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Brian W.
on 11/21/09 3:24 pm - Belmont, CA
Cross-training can be pretty beneficial.  I've found that getting the elliptical up to the 16-18 resistance level will simulate hill training for the muscles.

If you are looking for alternate therapy, acupuncture really has worked wonders for me when i injured my hamstring.

Brian
~350
Most Active