Exercise Questions from a Newbie/New Post-Op

NormaBee
on 11/19/09 10:43 pm

Hi all,

I am now past the 4 week mark and have begun upping my workout intensity. Right now, I am mainly using an elliptical, shooting for 4-5 times a week, starting at 30 minutes and plan to increase the time about 5 minutes per week. I am also considering starting using some light hand weights and doing some arm reps just for biceps, triceps, pecs, etc. The handweights are one pound.

Questions:

1. Is it too early to be doing the elliptical? It has the arms stuff too, but I haven't felt any issues so far.

2. I use a heart rate monitor, and know what the "normal" target heart rates are, but given my lower level of fitness and heavier weight, should I be shooting for the lower end of the THR, or does it matter, as long as I feel OK at about the 70-75% range some of the time?

3. Is it too early to be doing hand weights? I think they are only about one pound.

4. Is there any consensus on when is the best time to workout? Right now I'm working out kind of late, but before dinner. Is morning better? I'm not a morning person at all, but if there are greater benefits, i will do it.

5. I don't eat many carbs, but I do allow myself one meal per day that has some carbs (mostly fiber). Does it make any difference whether I eat this meal at lunch (pre-workout) or at dinner (immediately post-workout)?

6. And finally, WHY is it so hard to motivate myself to get on the damn elliptical when IT IS IN MY HOUSE?!?!? But I still struggle with, oh, I'll just sit here a little longer...blah blah blah. Once I get on, no problem. I should be JUMPING on that thing with joy everyday!

Thanks for anyone's input!

Davina S.
on 11/20/09 12:25 am - Naperville, IL
Hi, NormaBee!

Wow... you are an energizer bunny already!!!  IMHO, I think the elliptical might be too early.  It really works your core muscles, which is great, but maybe 4 weeks out would be better walking or riding the bike.  Especially if you are doing 70-75%!!!  Your abdomen needs time to heal, even if it feels okay...  baby steps!!!

As for the one pound weights, I think those are fine.  And, everone works out better at their own time.  I think it is just feels better to you.  I don't think there is a consensus, because even though some people may argue that early morning is best because you burn more calories throughout the day, the same could be said for a night while you sleep.  So, it's a personal preference.

I do believe it is better to eat a majority of your carbs early in the day.

And, whether it is hard or not, you ARE motivating yourself somehow because I think you are doing awesome!!!  Whatever you are doing is working, because you have these questions so you are obviously up and doing it!!!

You are an inspiration...    Just don't do too much too soon, okay?
God bless all of our efforts...  Davina 
You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving. 
~ Amy Carmichael ~

NormaBee
on 11/22/09 11:10 am
Thanks Davina! I've been blending the elliptical with walking and only do the arms part of the time, doing most of the workout just with my legs. I know, I get impatient when I workout but don't feel that I'm working out hard enough - it's that sort of black and white thinking that would sabotage many a previous exercise program. The "If I'm not able to work out for 45 minutes super hard, 6 days a week, I might as well not work out at all." I'm trying to be careful not to fall into those traps, and remember that even slow-medium walking is better than sitting on the couch doing nothing at all!

Kate_R
on 11/22/09 6:55 am - Thompsontown, PA
My reccomendation would be to talk to your doctor.  At 4 weeks out it was ok by my doctor to work on the elliptical, but I was so out of shape 15 minutes was my limit when I started but each day I would push myself furhter and over time I worked up to 1 hour 4 times a week.

I also along the line I started doing Turbo Jam several times a week as well.  That is a great workout that you an just hit the play button on the DVD.  In July I also started doing Chalean Extreme which is lifting weights or you can use resistance bands.  I just LOVE it.  But before doing this program I would reccomend that you talk to your Doctor first.  

As to the time of the day, I like to to mine first thing in the morning but that is only possible on the weekends for me.  Best time is when you have the time and make sure you put it in your schedule so it becomes a priority.  Before you know it it no longer is a chore but something you will look forward to.  Through the week as soon as I get home from work I change into my workout clothes and get it done.  I have found this to be the Best Stress reliever there is!

The important thing is find something that you enjoy so you will stick to it.  A year ago if someone would have told me I would become addicted to excerise I would have told them they were nuts!

I know there are days I would come home and think mercy I just want to sit down and relax, it is kind of a bitter pill but once you swallow its great how good you feel afterwords.

If I can help you please let me know.

Hugs,

Kate

NormaBee
on 11/22/09 11:07 am
Thank you so much Kate! My doctor said we can pretty much do anything if we feel up for it as long as it's not heavy weights. I think I'm in OK shape to do the elliptical - I did start working out pretty consistently before the surgery, not up to those levels again but getting there.

I haven't tried the Turbo Jam, but I love the Beachbody products as well. I have Hip Hop Abs which is a lot of fun, but giving the heavy ab/core work I probably won't be able to do that for awhile yet. I'll have to check out the Chalean Extreme too when I think it's OK! I will check with my doctor on those at my 2 month checkup.

I think I will stick to my evening workouts - it's the habit I've gotten into, and I'm just not a morning person at all. It's working for now. I do like working out in the morning on the weekends though, since it's not as early!

Most Active