Cycling question..Trainers??

Katari
on 11/18/09 12:33 pm - OR
I just don't get out as much as I would like to for riding right now. I either have the kiddo's or (lately) seems to be storming all the time. So does anyone have any recommendations for some type of trainer I can use to ride my bike indoors with out spending a ton of cash for it? In other words I'm not looking for a $600 trainer for my cheap bike. I'm still saving up for my street bike and don't want to put alot of that money towards the trainer. Anything would be helpful.

Thanks!!

Katie
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

Seht
on 11/18/09 11:53 pm
I searched and searched for quite a while.  It seems like they were all running in that 300.00 and up price range for anything decent. 

I finally found a good deal on craigs list, it's not a great trainer, but I was able to balance that out with the greatly reduced price.  The other place to check is when REI has their members sale.  They have a parking lot sale of used and returned items.  They had a couple trainers there as well.  Normally 3-4 hundred dollars were going for 90-150.

You will probably have 3 choice types to choose from
Magnetic
Wind resistance
Fluid resistance.

I believe you are going to find that that is the price range also, Magnetic being the least expensive and the Fluid trainers being the most expensive.

One additional purchase you are going to want to go with this is a speed/cadence sensor that is back wheel mountable.  Because you will not actually be moving you need something that is either wireless or has a cable long enough and will support back wheel mounting.

That's another reason I chose the garmin 305 for my running watch, it had rear wheel mount for the speed when chucked up on the trainer and it had the cadence sensor as well. 

Also you will put more wear on your tire than you do on the road.  I just purchased a special tire specifically for the trainer after turning a round tire into a semi round tire with a flat spot where it touches the trainer.  This trainer tire is a harder material and not meant for road riding.  Continental is the manufacturer.

Click to enlarge

Continental Ultra Sport Home Trainer Tire

• With a modern roller and the UltraSport Hometrainer in the house, winter can set in when it wants to.
    • Thanks to its special cold-running compound, the UltraSport Hometrainer doesn´t experience the heat buildup of a road tire, nor does it suffer the tread separation that the road tire is prone to under the special loads occurring when cycling and braking on the revolving drums of the roller.
    • The UltraSport Hometrainer has been designed explicitly for trainers and rollers and is not suitable for on road use.
    • Size 700C x 23mm
    • 120 PSI Max.
    • Weight 240g.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Katari
on 11/19/09 7:18 am - OR
Thanks for the information and the idea about the trainer tire. I wouldn't have thought about that! I'll keep an eye out at REI as well as craigslist. I'll have to remember that about the garmin, as I am hoping to get one before to long.
Katie 

Cassie W.
on 11/19/09 11:13 am
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Katari
on 11/20/09 12:33 am - OR
Cassie - Thanks for the e-bay reminder! I always forget to check e-bay out.
Katie 

Jeff B.
on 11/19/09 2:34 pm - Gilbert, AZ
Scott's post is excellent and right on the money. Depending on the quality of the tires you are riding, you may want to be selective on the type of trainer and resistance. Again, Scott's nailed it.

I would absolutely recommend for things like this to hit Performance Bike www.performancebikes.com. I typically shop at the triathlon specialty shops but for general items like this, Performance is great because you have a lifetime warranty and a lifetime return policy no questions asked. It is literally like the Nordstroms customer service deparment for bikes.

I had taken a saddle back that I used all triathlon season and told them it was uncomfortable. The asked how much I used it and said all year training and an Ironman event on it. He said no problem, documented it and refunded the money without any issue.

I tell you this because you can try it out and if you don't like it beyond the typical 30 day return policy, you have that option. Good luck and happy training.

Jeff

PS, You'll build your DVD collection training indoors quickly!
Katari
on 11/20/09 12:35 am - OR
Thanks for the tip on Performance bikes. I know there is one about an hour away, but it's on the way to my Dr., so I'll check them out the next time I head up that way. It looks like they are having a 20% off sale this weekend, so I might have to make a special trip up.
Katie 

Most Active