Anyone gain weight when training?

bandhope
on 11/15/09 11:07 pm - TX
I've been told I probably have gained muscle and this is the cause for the weight gain. Today, I'm up 5 lbs. from when I started training hard. I don't think my clothes feel any different, but I've been an obese person and "denial" is no stranger to me. I have noticed I'm eating a little more than usual, but I've written that off as needing more fuel for my training routines. I'm running about 20-24 miles a week now.

When I first starting running again (back in March) I lost like 5-6 lbs. right away. I don't get it!

I've been told the scale shouldn't matter right now, but it's tough. I've added more carbs and maybe, I'm over doing it. Please help....any advice?
Seht
on 11/15/09 11:16 pm
Sounds like you have it just about right.

My weight loss slowed down a bit when I first started running, and my desire for food increased.
Then when I decided to train for Triathlons, my coach warned me not to freak out if I gained some weight.  He said I would.  I would need to eat more to sustain the energy spent working out, and that I would be putting on muscle especially in my shoulders, chest and back from the swimming and the weights he would have me doing.
I think you are using a good gauge.  How are the clothes fitting.  If you aren't feeling tighter in the jeans, then it's probably muscle gain like you are thinking.  However if you start to back off on your workouts and the weight keeps going up, then you need to evaluate your calorie intake again.

As for carb intake, it still all comes down to calories in vs. calories out.  I am one of those people who has some carbs and instantly craves more carbs.  So increasing my carbs is a hard thing for me to control. 

Good luck and congrats on those miles you are racking up.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

bandhope
on 11/16/09 7:59 am - TX
Thank you Scott! I appreciate your advice and encouragment!!!
Scott William
on 11/16/09 12:01 am
It is a pretty common thing from what I have read.  I personelly have gained 10 pounds every time that I train for a marathon.  Once I start doing the long runs on a consistant basis,  I think about food from the moment I wake up to the moment that I go to sleep.  I am just hungry all the time.  A few weeks after the marathon, when my training miles some down, the constant hunger subsides.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
bandhope
on 11/16/09 8:00 am - TX
Thank you Scott! I noticed I'm not as hungry on my rest days so it does make sense. Thanks for the reminder!
panhead58fl
on 11/16/09 2:19 am - Barboursville, WV
I'm with Scott, while training for my marathon I was ravenous. It has been a little over tow weeks since I ran it and I have been taking it easy and it may have subsided some what. I have found this to happen when ever I crank up the physical activity.

pa head
bandhope
on 11/16/09 8:01 am - TX
|Thank you!!!
beccaswan69
on 11/19/09 6:00 am
Hi there. I am a gymrat and have lost nearly 70 lbs of fat. I just want to let you know that lean muscle weighs more than fat... its a fact. When I began to gain weight due to muscle gain I started to measure myself with a measure tape instead of getting on the scale. It does help if you toss the scale for awhile. Also, if you notice no weight loss and feel as though you should have some then try to drink at least 8 (8 oz) glasses of water with a little lemon in it. The lemon will help with any water weight you may have... I put lemon in all my drinks now. Good luck!
bandhope
on 11/20/09 7:54 am - TX
Good ideas! Thank you!!!
Most Active