Newbie Jogger - Need Advise for Pulled Muscle

lisaboss
on 11/16/09 2:06 am - Corinth, TX
Hi all, I'm new to your forum....

Hubby has convinced me I'm ready to ramp things up and start jogging, so besides my normal workouts, on Saturday mornings, we head to a local track and do a combination of walking/jogging for 2.5 miles.  Basically, I jog the corners and walk the straights.  Been doing this for about 2 months with increasing amounts of jogging...  That is until last week....

Two weeks ago, we did our normal Saturday - but by Sunday, felt terrible back pain...   Figured I pulled a muscle and carefully nursed it back to health.  Felt good the following Saturday, so I stretched and hit the track.   Again, by Sunday I was in quite a bit of pain...  Had to travel for work on last Tuesday and pulling luggage through the airport, off/on the plane, etc. did me in...  I used a heating pad and lived on Tylenol for the remainder of last week and into this weekend.  No workouts...  Today, getting better, but what I've figured out is that I pulled a muscle high on my left hip and the pain is radiating into lower back and tightening muscles up and down the back.  I do have new running shoes and carefully stretch before/after workout.  I've skipped weights for several weeks, so I know it's the running, or something I'm doing wrong...

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I might have injured myself and/or ways to better prevent it?  I'll heal and have to be patient, but I really don't want to repeat this process again.

Advise is welcome and appreciated - thank you!

Lisa from Texas - Go Aggies Go!!!
Before/atWLS/Current 
313/290/

Seht
on 11/16/09 2:15 am
I don't have an answer for you, but giving yourself a chance to heal and recover is a good choice.  No need to aggrevat or exacerbate an injury.  Take it nice and slow, get yourself healthy again.

How new are the shoes?  Did you have the problem before or after the new shoes?
Just beause they are new shoes or marketed as running shoes, doesn't mean they are the best for you.  Did you go to a real running store and get a fitting.  A good store will put you on a treadmill or evaluate your stride.  The store I use videotapes you running on the treadmill and then recommends a shoe based on how your foot strikes the ground and what happens after that.

I had always been one for buying whatever shoe was on sale, I have done that before, and I am still a little guilty of doing that.  However the times I have gone with their recommendations, I have been thoroughly satisfied.  Now I just wait until that brand/model goes on sale and I buy a pair or two as was the case last time.

Good luck, I hope you find the cause of your discomfort.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Rob S.
on 11/16/09 4:23 am - DE
It could be a tightened IT band.  Call a physical therapist to get some resolution.
Rob
kerniec
on 11/18/09 9:34 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
PT or chiropractic care.  I saw a chiro last night, and I am on the road to recovery, both my knees and back............

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

Most Active