Hi.....first injury need help--long--sorry

kerniec
on 11/12/09 3:00 am, edited 11/12/09 3:00 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
Ok, not sure if I have a shin splint or some other aggravation, but the first culprit I will change is my inadequate shoes, so I don't need advice on how to fix it, as much as identifying it, I have looked online and I'm having trouble.

History:
Sunday - Ran over 5 miles (first time) no issues, just normal muscle fatigue in hams and calves near end of run
Monday -  Ran over 5 miles (ok so maybe should have done shorter run but I felt so good.........) same as Sunday
Tuesday - Tried to to 3 mile run had to walk a lot of it, muscles were really fatigued.  No pain other than knees were a bit talky (have history of that, I wear knee braces to walk and run)

Wednesday  - Rest Day

Thursday - Almost instantly, pain shooting from near knee or at knee region down to ankle.  Pain increases with repeated strikes.  Tried walking more then running again, several times with same result.  Couldn't run more than probably 20 strides without pain increasing in intensity, knew it was a bad idea to run through the pain, or so it seemed to me anyway.  Ended up mainly walking 2.5 miles prox, maybe a smidge more.  Just on the left leg, right leg was fine. 

Is that a shin splint?  I read descriptions at runners world, still not sure.  That is the leg with the "bad" knee, although neither knee was good back when, the left was much worse and had actually dislocated more than once both when I was MO and when I would lose weight. 

I have a 5 mile Turkey Trot two weeks from today.  My next event is a 5K on Dec 19.  I am registering for a half marathon tomorrow which is April 11.  I was near tears not from the pain but from the agony of not running and what it can mean..........totally overdramatizing I am sure, but I do that. 

Thanks for any replies!

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

DANCBJAMMIN
on 11/12/09 3:04 am - Fort Worth, TX
Is the pain down the front of your shin? Outer or inner part? Does the pain shoot up from the ankle to the knee, or from the knee down to the ankle?
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

kerniec
on 11/12/09 3:08 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
Dan

Thanks for helping me clarify - the pain shoots from the knee down the front of my leg (shin).  Outer or inner - it's directly down the front of the leg, definitely not inner or outer area.  If you're asking if it's a deep pain or more on the surface, I had a difficult time identifying that, but I would say it was not a deep pain just intense on the "outside"

My knees are definitely feeling a pounding, the right knee is slightly sore just from the walk.  I know these shoes gotta go, that's for certain. 

DANCBJAMMIN
on 11/12/09 4:15 am - Fort Worth, TX
Here is my speculation... I am guessing you are a "Heel Striker" and along with the increased mileage on back-to-back days, you were either running on an uneven surface or there were a lot of hills. It def sounds like Shin Splints. Go see a Chiro and get some ART Actice Release TEchnique, which will hurt like a mofo, but will indeed help. Be careful when increasing mileage and give your legs some rest time to recoverfrom the new load you are asking to put on them. This is coming from a person who has severe shin splints because I have pancake flat feet with no arch and therefore am prone to dealing with these things. I get ART and it almost brings me to tears everytime, but helps tremendously. Let those legs rest up...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

kerniec
on 11/12/09 4:19 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
Dan

Thank you - I will call my friend's chiro and ask since they are on our insurance and most are not...........how long do I need to rest?  And how long does it take to "break in" good new shoes?  My race is in 14 days..........yipes.

Scott William
on 11/12/09 3:45 am
When I have had shin splints, I have had what I would describe as an ache although it could be pretty severe about 6" above the ankle to 6" below the knee.  It felt to me like the muscle that runs along the tibia is pulling away from the bone.

If you have increased your milage recently, it could be an over use issue.   With some PT and some appropriate strengthening, it could be something that is fixable.  That is pure speculation though.  Perhaps some time off will help and if it doesn't a trip to the Dr may be in order.  Good luck.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
kerniec
on 11/12/09 3:50 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
Scott

Thanks for your input......I do think the mileage is an issue.  I went from running every other day to 5 days a week and increased distance so I think I was biting off more than my legs could chew.

It is an ache, I guess, but one that increases with each strike, which is just not ok.........I am a bit wimpy so I tried to run long enough to figure out what was causing the pain. It was a very odd sensation.  I definitely plan to rest tomorrow, do some exercises, see what develops.

My coworker (he's gone as far as doing 1/2 marathons) to rest two days straight, I have a hard time doing that........but I have to think long-term. (impatient am I)

Waterwench
on 11/12/09 6:06 am - portland, OR
REST
ICE
COMPRESSION
ELEVATION

Also, it may be a shin splint or it may be a stress fracture. Rest for 3 days IN A ROW, icing the area two or three times a day and taking Tylenol for any residual pain. If you set out for a run after doing your stretches, etc. and the pain returns, it may well be a stress fracture. Building mileage slowly is very important.

DO NOT RUN A SINGLE STEP MORE IN THE CURRENT SHOES YOU OWN. You will possibly compound your injury. Get fitted in a real runner's store by real experts--it's invaluable. But don't just go for a good shoe--also switch out the insoles for something like Polysorb Runner's Insoles. Nike makes a great shoe but their insoles are crap for long-term running. I switched to the Polysorbs--they were spendy but worth it! My feet thank me daily. :)

Good luck!

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

kerniec
on 11/12/09 10:47 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
Rest for three days?  Yipes!

I think I may have misinterpreted the pain, my knees were really sore later in the day.

I got new shoes before therapy tonight (psychotherapy not PT LOL)........they are a good pair of Asics with great stability control.........I needed it, my shoes weren't giving me that at all.

So I am hoping it is not that bad............just scary because I was doing so well!

Tiff tells all
on 11/12/09 6:08 am - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
In the interim, use some icy hot to massage those shins. Thats what my mom always did for me in school. Just take some good ol' R&R and rub em down!

Hope you feel better!

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

Most Active