My first 5K is less than two weeks away...

Katie H.
on 11/10/09 8:14 am - Charlton, MA
So I'm doing my very first 5K on 11/22.  I'm super excited about it - I've decided that I'm going to be a runner and 5K's are going to be my thing.  And after I got over the initial shock that my once massive body can move and actually move FAST, I realized that I LOVE the feeling that I get from running. 

With my first race less than two weeks away I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for the home stretch here.  I've been training outside on the course for the past couple weeks.  I can't run the entire thing, but I've been working on pacing myself and and running in longer stretches.  I like to make sure that I run the hills - up & down, but I'm curious if anyone has any advice.  I have been running (for the most part) the course Monday, Wednesday, Friday and at the gym two days a week, taking the other two off.  I was thinking of doing the course every other day until the Thursday before the race, then taking Friday & Saturday off as the race is on Sunday.  Any suggestions?

I've also signed up for another 5K on 12/5 - I was feeling ambitious!  Any suggestions/advice/input would be greatly appreciated!!!  You all have been a great source of inspiration and motivation to me, so thank you for that!!

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

Scott William
on 11/10/09 9:42 am

Katie:
Here is my advice.  Enjoy the race.  I'm not sure if I have ever seen someone so psyched about their first race.  Most everyone here was but you have been running the course 3 times a week.  That's what I call preperation. 

Don't go out too fast.  Find a spot near the back of the pack and run a nice and slow first mile.  See how you feel from there.  If you feel great then pick up the pace a bit.  The energy of the race is going to pull you along.  Look around a bit and take it in.  This is a race you will remember.

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Scott William
on 11/10/09 9:43 am
BTW what race are you running?
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Katie H.
on 11/11/09 9:19 am - Charlton, MA
I'm doing the Gobble Gobble 5/10K in Southbridge, MA.  It's put on by the agency I work for and is a fundraiser for our Special Olympics programs.  The other one I'm doing on 12/5 is the Jolly Jaunt in Marlborough, MA - also to benefit Special Olympics.

Thanks for all the great advice guys!  I'm hoping that I'll be able to run most of it, taking minimal breaks...that's the goal anyways!

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

DANCBJAMMIN
on 11/10/09 10:44 am - Fort Worth, TX
I am with Scott... Truly enjoy your 1st and pace yourself. The adrenaline will get the better of you if you don't keep it in check. That's really exciting and can't wait to hear about it...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Rob S.
on 11/10/09 8:46 pm - DE
Just enjoy it.  Remember this one will be your PR (personal record) since it's your first.  Don't get too swept up in the start.  Remember to pace yourself in the beginning.  Try and go a little farther running than you think you can.  Pick out an object in the distance to run to, run past it, and tell yourself you will run to another.  Usually we walk because our mind is playing tricks.  And finish strong!  When you see the clock you need to pick it up, and go across the finish line looking like a runner.  Don't overtrain.
Rob
panhead58fl
on 11/11/09 12:47 am - Barboursville, WV
It sounds like you are better prepared than I was for my first race. I had been doing a lot of running but never had ran 3 miles without stopping. I got caught up in the excitement and went out way to fast. At the half way point I suddenly realized, I still had to run back to the fini**** took every thing I had to keep running. My major goal in that race was to run the whole thing. I went in with out a plan and by the end I was just barely hanging on. I agree with the rest here, have fun and enjoy. From the sound of your enthusiasm this will be the first of many.

pan head
Seht
on 11/11/09 6:01 am
It sounds like you are geared up to have a great time.

Like Scott said find your comfortable pace and just go.
It is very easy to get caught up in the rush of the race start and end up going faster than you intended.  This can be a pitfall that you need to be aware of.
But, it can also help, I get going with the crowd and as long as they aren't going too fast, I find that I usually run my first mile or 2 faster than normal and can then slowly throttle back.  With it being a 5k you don't have all that much time to adjust your speed.  You will be done before you know it.

Good luck

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

runningagain
on 11/15/09 4:14 am - NY

Congratulations on your first 5K.  I just did mine in August 2009.  I loved it.  I started out slowly and I'm glad I did.  The girls I train with went ahead of me and were yelling for me to catch up to them, but I knew I'd crash and burn and I wanted to start slow and not die.  So during the halfway point, our time was announced and I knew I had to keep that pace or pick it up if I wanted the time I was hoping for.  So, I concentrated on not slowing down and actually passed 2 friends that wanted me to run faster in the beginning and they used to always beat me in training...I was always the last one.  I totally agree with what Scott said.  I ditto his advice.

Good luck and keep us posted!!!!  Also, make sure you eat some carbs a half hour before the race (bananna is a good one.)

Tammy :-)

Katie H.
on 11/15/09 8:54 am - Charlton, MA
Thanks for all the great advice guys, I'm getting excited!! It's next Sunday!!  I'm planning on running the course on Monday, Wednesday & Friday.....and then it's Sunday - RACE DAY!!

I'll let you guys know how it goes!!

Most Active