NEW RUNNER. WELL JOG/WALKING, moving anyway.lol

mestude
on 11/9/09 9:29 am
You all are very inspirational...with some unbelievable transformations. 

So i have started back walking/jogging/running to start exercising again for my surgery in

December, also to help with a Disney trip Thanksgiving week. My Dr wants me drop 20-30 lbs

before my surgery (second week of Dec.) and does not enforce liquid diet...

So on the treadmill moving my 350lbs ive been trying to get a mile done as fast as i can, then

continue to walk jog for  30 minutes total, then some weights. was my body gets used to moving
like that again, i want to start some doing intervals, however in the mean time

Im only hitting 16min20sec... for my first mile, thats seems way too slow in my head. its that

competative guy thing, "not good enough, so quit" (im not sure if that makes sense) so i keep

having to tell myself "See the Bigger Picture" im only a week and a 1/2 in, so i hopefully by

Tgiving i'll be doing better....and i will be hitting the gym every morning in Disney as

well.....then chasing my 2yr old son around Disney every day for a week should definetly help 

with some weight loss...
Scott William
on 11/9/09 9:37 am
I have lost weight on a few trips to Disney.  There is a lot of exercise to be had there.  As far as going too slowly with that first mile, don't be discouraged.  My first treadmill experience after surgery was for 5 minutes at 3 miles per hour.  5 months later I ran a 27 minute 5K and 8 months after that I completed my first marathon.  50+ races later, I look back with pride that I had the courage to change my life and the courage to get on that treadmill.  You too have the courage to start the process.  You will get there!!!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Duane1064
on 11/9/09 10:11 am - Bloomington, IN
 You've done the hardest thing and that's getting started.  Pretty soon you'll be racking up the miles too.  Hang in there...it does get easier.  Don't be a stranger.  There are a lot of great people on this board.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
kerniec
on 11/9/09 10:28 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14

Hey, don't feel discouraged, I wish I had come to this forum way back when.............

I started out walking outdoors a half mile.  It hurt.  Everything, my heels, my knees, my back.  I just kept going.  There were days my really bad knee would pop and I would head back to rest it.  Then I started to just push through the popping knee (carefully) and eventually I lost enough weight that it doesn't pop very often anymore. 

You can drop the weight.  I lost 29 lbs in about 7 weeks pre-op, I went from a 42.9 BMI to 39 the day of surgery, and I could only diet and walk.  Just keep it up and stick around!

I have conquered 5 miles and I am training for an April 11 half marathon.  I am doing about 5-6 races between now and then.  I joined a club so I get discounts on some races and others are only $3.  It's a good deal!

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/09 11:17 am, edited 11/9/09 11:17 am - Menomonee Falls, WI
DANCBJAMMIN
on 11/9/09 12:14 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Bro... Don't even look at the clock! All you need to be thinking about is the fact that instead of sitting in front of the TV and eating, you are makin it happen. Congrats on taking the steps to change your life. You are a better man than me... I didn't do CRAP before my surgery, so you are that much more ahead of the game. Rock on my brother and stick around... Tons of good folks to draw advice, ispiration, and support from...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Katari
on 11/9/09 12:32 pm - OR
You are doing great getting this in before your surgery! Congrats to you for getting on board so early and not waiting until after surgery to think about this stuff. You'll do great!

Katie
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

Seht
on 11/9/09 11:37 pm
Welcome to the board.

Have a great trip to Disney

Keep up the effort, you will get there.  I know all about not getting the results I want fast enough.
The improvements are usually small, because you are dealing with small numbers. so you don't see the big improvement.  with a 16:20 for your mile a 10% improvement is only going to be 98 seconds 1:38, and 10% is a huge improvement.

As you drop the weight you will see some big improvements.  It won't be as hard to breathe, it won't be as hard on the joints.  Then when all the big jumps are over you will be working hard again for little improvements, but you will get them. 

Good luck.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

kerniec
on 11/13/09 4:29 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
I just wanted to add that I registered to walk 2 5Ks prior to surgery, and I walked the first, and then I walked the second with some running intervals mainly because my friend heather kept having to tie her shoes and slow us down...........but it got me to realize that I could run in  my 5k's too, and I was still 46 lbs overweight and 62 lbs from my goal when I did the first Ghost N Goblins..........I think my event time was like 47 min and this year it was 32:08.  This is such a good life! 

I'm still "new" as a runner so every race so far has been a PR, although I know my Turkey Trot won't be equal to my GNG pace, it will be my first 5 miler.  I like measuring against myself most of all...........

I just wish I had pushed myself to run more sooner because it's awesome. 

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

MacMadame
on 11/14/09 4:47 am - Northern, CA
As you lose weight, you'll get faster... there is only so fast we can move a lot of bulk.

Have you tried the Couch to 5K program? You start out running 1 min, walking 90 seconds and build from there. Because it's all for time, not distance, you can't really tell how fast you are running one mile and you get better and better each week so it's very motivating.

I went from not being able to run for more than 2 min. at time at a really slow speed to being able to run 4 miles without stopping in about 3 months time with that program.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active