Our first half marathon.

Duane1064
on 11/9/09 4:03 am, edited 11/9/09 7:46 pm - Bloomington, IN

On Saturday we did our first half marathon.  It was the Monumental Half Marathon in downtown Indianapolis.  The weather was great but a little windy.  It had over 6000 marathoners and half marathoners combined.  I was initially worried about making the 1:45 cutoff time for the first seven miles but we beat it with no problem at all.

We ran over eight miles before we stopped and walked.  At the six mile mark I realized that I'd run farther than I had ever run without stopping and walking.  I also realized that this day was the seven month anniversary  of my wife's (Alisica) RNY.  It was a first for Alisica in several ways. She'd never been in a marathon.  She'd never ran anywhere near that far without walking before.

Everything went as I had planned.  I knew that I wanted us to make the cutoff time.  I knew that I wanted to run at least seven miles before we walked.  I knew that I wanted to be under 2:30 at the ten mile mark.  I knew that we would finish.  I knew that if things didn't go as planned we would make the best of it.

It was a really neat experience to do the half marathon.  Something that we will always remember.  Something that we're very proud of doing.  To think that seven months ago we were taxed just to walk around our addition.  We've already signed up for our next half marathon to be done in May.

Thanks to you all for your advice, support, and encouragement along our way.

Duane 

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Queesar10
on 11/9/09 4:15 am - Bloomington, IN
I am STILL RIDING OUT MY PERSONAL HIGH.  I have walked around all day smiling at our accomplishment.  And, can you believe that I am (me, your wife) looking forward to the next one!!!  May seems so far away - we may have to find something to do before then!

kerniec
on 11/9/09 4:19 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
Congrats, you should be so proud of yourselves!  Awesome!  My first is in April, I can't wait to have that feeling............

I have many other races in between, like you said, that's an eternity away.  I have to race at least once a month.  It's in me..............I need the competition to get better. 

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

Duane1064
on 11/9/09 9:27 am - Bloomington, IN
 We're looking at doing some 5k's around Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I'm already wanting to start training for a full marathon.  So much to do......

I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Seht
on 11/9/09 7:02 am
Congrats!!!

There are almost alway Turkey Trots (5-10k races this time of year)  As well as runs to feed the hungry etc.
We also have one that happens on the 1st of January every year.  They call it the resolution run.  Gets that first race of the year under your belt.

Do you have a local running group/club.  Often they are a great source for local races.

Have a great year.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Duane1064
on 11/9/09 9:32 am - Bloomington, IN
 There's a 5k on Thanksgiving day that I think we're going to do.....maybe even get some of our family in on the action.  There is a local running club that we're going to check out.  I want to join the local bike club too.  I'd much rather ride in a pack/group than alone....safety in numbers.

Duane

kerniec
on 11/9/09 4:21 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
Congrats Duane you guys are the super couple!  I'm fairly new around here, but that's just fantastic.

My husband has horrible knees but he's starting to walk today, with hopes of doing some rowing, swimming, indoor soccer in the future with some improved stamina.  I would love for us to be a super couple too!  He's only about 20 lbs overweight, he lost 75+ and regained some while I lost.  (clearing my plate for me for one!  I have to start pitching it before he gets a chance!)

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

Rob S.
on 11/9/09 4:31 am - DE
Great job.  You always remember the first one.  You will also always remember every one that you accomplish.  It is really something special to accomplish!  It should just keep getting better and better.
Rob
Duane1064
on 11/9/09 9:33 am - Bloomington, IN
 Thanks Rob.

on 11/9/09 4:33 am - National City, MI
Congrats to the both of you!! Feels good when all your hard work pays off, doesn't it?!

I think it's pretty cool that you two do this together. I wish I could get my wife interested in it. I'm glad to hear that all went as planned. That's a rarity when it comes to this stuff!

Most Active