Porky's Gulch Classic November 7 & 8 2009

Michelle B.
on 11/8/09 10:10 am - Augusta, ME

I competed in this amazing 3 stage bike  race and won 1st place in my division. 
Saturday morning was Stage 1- 2 mile hill climb up Mt Washington in Gorham NH.  OMG is all I have to say!!!
Then we moved to Story Land in the afternoon.  It is an amusement park.  We did a time trial race through the park.  That was so much fun.
Then Sunday morning we returned for the final stage- a cyclocross race.  For those who love to bike and have never tried cyclocross I highly recommend it.  It is so much fun.

I can't wait to do it again next year!!!!

this was a pic of me racing through Story Land.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 11/8/09 11:12 am - Fort Worth, TX
Man, that ride looks cold, looked like a ghost town in your pic, but sounds like a heck of a time! Congrats on a great event....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

MacMadame
on 11/8/09 12:50 pm - Northern, CA
1st place! That's wonderful. Congratulations!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Scott William
on 11/8/09 9:00 pm

Way to go Michelle.  Any first is a good first.  I just saw that you ran the black fly race.  I saw that one in New England Runner and it really intrigued me.  I'm glad that you gave it a good report.  Are there really lots of black flies on the course?  They drive me nuts around here.  Maybe I'll see you next year.

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Hawgman
on 11/8/09 9:19 pm - TX
Congratulations!!  Sounds like you are really motivated.  Way to go.

What's a cyclocross? 
Michelle B.
on 11/8/09 10:13 pm, edited 11/8/09 10:14 pm - Augusta, ME
No there were no black flies that day.  But everyone does put on bug spray before the race.  That race was fun too.

Cyclocross is a bike race.  The course has many hills and barriers that require you to get off your bike and carry it over the barriers or up hills.  Then you jump back on your bike and continue to race.  So there is a lot of off and on your bike.  It is a timed race and depending on your division you race 30-60mins.  So many laps around the course.  It is really hard while you are doing it but so much fun.  My coworker has done cyclocross for years and has been bugging me to try.  Well now I am hooked.  Now I need to get a cross bike.

Dan- Story Land is closed and they don't allow spectators inside the park.  It was little cold about 40.  I was not cold once I started racing.
Seht
on 11/8/09 10:45 pm
Sounds like a great day.

Congrats!

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

mcarthur01
on 11/8/09 11:13 pm - Cumming, GA
awesome job!  this sounds like a ton of fun....
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

kerniec
on 11/9/09 4:17 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
Michelle

Sounds like you had a great time, congrats on the first place finish, WOW!

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

Most Active