Bike help

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/09 10:59 pm, edited 11/8/09 1:33 am
Hi, I'm new to posting on this board, but can use a bit of help.  I've accepted that with my knees being shot running is something I won't ever do-so I'm looking into biking for that good cardio and leg exercise.   

Can anyone recommend a good bike that I can take on gravel trails and just the street that can also hold a higher weight?  Currently I am just under 300 lbs.
dvolumptious1
on 11/8/09 12:15 am

I love to bike. I actually try to ride my bike to work atleast 2 days a week. I've been pretty sad lately since surgery bc I live upstairs and I'm not supposed to lift it up and down the stairs so I haven't rode my bike since early last month. I even bought a brand new helmet the other week. Anywho, I have a bike beach cruiser that cost me like 149.00. I love her (my bike), her name is Priscella. The Physicians Assistant who I work with told me that bc at the time I was a little under 300, I should get a beach cruiser with 26 inch tires. My bike has a pretty big seat for comfort  as well bc that can make all the difference in the world! My coworker who is my fellow "biker chick" went out and bouth a 350.00 Trek 2000 and I tell ya, its a hybrid so its really light. You can pick it up with one hand but its very strong.. The seats don't come big on it so you would have to buy a bigger one. I tell ya though, its a cadillac on two wheels. The Bike Shop sets it up for you and get this, the bike even has to have tune-ups. Lol!! Great bike, thats what I'm saving for. I love my cruiser but it doesn't have gears so its hell when I'm trying to go up a hill.

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/09 1:12 am
Hmmm. A cruiser with a big seat for my big caboose...check!  I've got a few friends that are crazy athletes of the iron man type.  One guy has about 6 bikes, some costing thousands of dollars.  Maybe once I'm more fit and working on speed I can see spending that type of investment, but for now I just want something that keeps me moving.

Thanks for the info!
Scott William
on 11/8/09 12:41 am
I have no clue about bikes but wanted to welcome you to the board.  Keep us posted on your search.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
(deactivated member)
on 11/8/09 1:08 am
Thanks Scott!
Michelle B.
on 11/8/09 10:16 am - Augusta, ME
Your local bike shop should be able to guide you on an appropriate bike for your needs.

Consult weight 235   / Day of Surgery 191   / Current 133 / Goal 125

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/09 10:47 am
Thanks.  I thought of that but was afraid of a sales person leading me to the most expensive bike in the shop.
David B.
on 11/8/09 10:42 am - Fort Worth, TX
Let me start this with I weighted 310 when I forst started riding a bicycle. I bought a $400 bicycle and with in 2 months the wheels where bent and had to be retured. I wound up having to by heavier built wheels.

The main thing that wears the most from weight is the wheels. They can bend, and break spokes if they are not able to withstand the weight. I would not recomend rideing it off road until you get a little lower in your weight. No jumping curbs, and watch for pot holes.

Do talk to someone at your local bicycle shop. Tell them your concerns, and your weight. Sounds like you need a hybrid. Don't buy from the first shop you stop at. Some salesman don't know what they are talking about. I would ask for a manager to help you, or maybe even talk to someone back in the repair shop about wheels to support your weight, or which ones to stay away from.

Please don't let anything I have said turn you away from buying a bicycle. I love riding mine. Just do your research.

David B.
  David  max  317, pre liquid diet  295, day of surgery 285, current 193 09/01/10

(deactivated member)
on 11/8/09 10:50 am
Thanks David. 

I'm in no way dissuaded from buying a bicycle.  I know based on where you are riding different bikes are available.  I just don't want to go broke buying something I can truly only use part of the year based on the local weather.  Also I know my weight will play a big part of tires and seats that will work best for me.

I appreciate the help.
MacMadame
on 11/8/09 1:13 pm - Northern, CA
Most local bike shops will work within your parameters on a bike and not rip you off. They may get you to buy a lot of accessories you wouldn't normally get, but they won't tell you that you have to get a $2000 bike, if your budget is $500. That's because most of the people who work at these shops love bikes and aren't necessarily good salesmen.

The bikes you want to watch out for are the cheap ones you can get at Target or Walmart. They probably won't hold you. Plus, they tend to fall apart and/or not be put together properly.

There are a lot of bikes out there that are rated to hold 300 lb. but not every bike is so you do have to check. A lot of people I know who are heavier than you love the Kona Hoss. It's a Mountain Bike, but you can get a tire that will also work on the road for it.

Also, a touring bike will be a good bet because they are made to hold a lot of "luggage" for traveling bike trips.

This company makes bikes for people who are much heavier than you:

http://www.supersizedcycles.com/?gclid=CK7fo-6R_Z0CFQ0aawodrVowpw

I have no personal experience with them, however. I've just seen other people recommend them. I expect you don't really need something special at under 300 lb. though. Just to get a strong frame and not a cheap frame.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active