VSG on Nov. 16th

ericdbuck
on 11/7/09 8:59 am
VSG on 11/16/09 with
I am having VSG on the 16th and would like to know how soon I can get back into the gym.  Obviously starting slowly with cardio work and then working my way up to weight training.  It is VERY important that I get into the gym and get back in gear as I am a cash paying patient and to be honest I do not want to waste my money.
Seht
on 11/7/09 9:09 am
It seems to be a pretty standard 6 weeks for lifting or any core work.  That was the initial instruction set given by my doctor.
But what does your doctor say?

For me it was walking right away, and anything else I could do that didn't involve stressing the abdominal area.  Then he approved jogging or running after the first 2 weeks.
I was able to lift weights if they were isolated on a machine after a couple weeks, so basically things like bicepts and tricepts.  By  my 4 week appt the doctor cleared me to go ahead and lift or do core work.

But really you should ask him/her that before you have your surgery.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

ericdbuck
on 11/7/09 10:14 am
VSG on 11/16/09 with
Thanks for the info, I am having surgery with Dr. Pompa in Mexico and left an email this morning but will not expect them to return my message until Monday.  I understand the time to allow for the healing of the abdominals obviously due to the stapling.  I believe I will take your advice on the 6 week mark, but I should be able to get the cardio work (treadmill).  I think I will always have an issue with the abdominals, as in college we used to use weighted crunches and that is just something I might stay clear of for awhile until I feel comfortable, however I can't wait until weighted dips...I can barely do a dip now...ohhh and least I forget pull ups (REAL pull ups)
Seht
on 11/7/09 11:38 am
Yeah real pull ups are a goal of mine.
The problem with doing all cardio and no weight lifiting is I lost a lot of muscle with the rapid weight loss.  Now I struggle.

My personal goals for feeling fit.
Being able to run.  I guess I more or less have that one done.
I would like to be able to do 10 real pull ups.  Still working on this
I would like to be able to bench press my own weight.  Still working on this one too.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MacMadame
on 11/8/09 12:59 pm - Northern, CA
I was back in the gym at 2 weeks out with my VSG. I only did cardio for a while because of the weight-lifting restrictions. I did try a Jazzercise class at 1 month out and my abs clearly were not ready for that so soon. I started pilates at 2 months out and was fine.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active