I am now in pre pig mode

robt859
on 11/7/09 3:37 am
I am now officially registered for the Flying pig in Cincy for may 2 2010. My daughter and possibly my neigbhor are signing up also. My plan is to do the C25K than start the marathon program that Saxman sent, that way I can work towards the flying pig 1/2 and a future full marathon. I am open to ideas if you guys think I should make some modifications.

Seht
on 11/7/09 8:33 am
Congrats.

Stick with your plan, don't ru****  don't skimp, or cheat the programs.  Be patient with your progress, it will come.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Linn D.
on 11/7/09 11:08 am - Missoula, MT
One other thing: expect it to be difficult.  Expect it to not feel very good for a long time.  

Expect to see progress and get your motivation from that.  It really is cool to do things you haven't been able to do in a long time.

I didn't have my first real WOW, THIS IS COOL, I COULD DO THIS FOREVER! run for about a year after I started running although I'd done some 10k's and a half marathon.

Running is a very good way to get fit, and it's a really great lifestyle, but it takes a while before it really feels good.  Like Scott said, don't skimp on the program and don't try to do too much too soon.  Do get the right shoe for your foot and gait.  That will help keep from getting injured, especially since you still have a way to go with your weight loss.

Don't forget to eat after your workouts.  You'll need it to restore the glycogen you use as you exercise.

Good luck to you, and enjoy this wonderful new part of your life!  I've been a runner for about 5 years now, and I wouldn't change a thing!

Linn
Hawgman
on 11/8/09 12:37 am - TX
Way to go!!

To give a contrasting viewpoint.

I starting feeling better almost immediately after beginning my exercise program.  It took a couple of weeks to get over the soreness issues, but after that everything was fine.

Good luck and stay the course.

Darrell
Most Active