Do I have enough time???

robt859
on 11/5/09 8:20 am
177 Days, 09 Hrs, 33 Mins, 13 Secs. time remaining for the Cincinnati Flying Pig marathon ( they also have a 1/2)

Ok let me start my saying that you guys inspire the hell out of me and I want to start setting some goals, but don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Currently I am walking 3 miles 5 times a week. Which, by the way, is a little embarassing to post considering the accomplishments of those of you guys here on the board. That being said I want to run a marathon and since I live in Northern Kentucky the Flying Pig marathon in Cincinnati seems like a great goal. Now they have both a half marathon and a full marathon, but the former Marine in me says GO ALL OUT you big @^$$&. (excuse the language) and my 42 year old, still 75lbs over wieght, body says 1/2 is a good goal too. My real question is..is 5 1/2 months enough time to go from walking 3 miles a day to running a 26.2 marathon? If so, please help me with ideas on what I need to do and how, and if that isn't enough may I suggest this as a possible team event? I would love to have a few of the men and women from the board that have inspired me to be with me when I WIN THE FIGHT!

saxman007
on 11/5/09 8:35 am - Port Huron, MI
 Check out http://www.halhigdon.com/ for some good marathon information.  I went from walking 5 miles 4-5 times a week to running a marathon in 10 months and thought that was pushing the limits of what the body can/should do.  I think you could easily get ready for the half, potentially the full BUT I'd be concerned about injury.  26.2 miles is rough on the body and it takes it's toll.  Could you do it -- I'm sure you could.  You know your time and your body best.  Do you have time for the training and do you think your body can handle the stress of the miles?
As far as the Flying Pig I've heard nothing but great things about the race!  It's a fairly large race and well organized.  It is a hilly course though (another nod towards doing the 1/2).  One year I'll probably get down there to do it since it's not too far from me in Michigan.  
If you really want to do a full marathon I might suggest doing the Flying Pig 1/2 and looking for a fall full (Detroit/Chicago/Marine Corp(DC) are all fairly close and might be a better thought.
Welcome to the board and good luck with your decisions!  There's lots of inspiring folks here and between the people here doing great races and the addictive nature of what we do it's easy to get hooked!  
-Dan
DANCBJAMMIN
on 11/5/09 9:40 am - Fort Worth, TX
I did my 1st marathon on my 11 month surgery anniversary. I didnt start working out til 6 weeks post-op and did not train for running until about 4 months post-op. I was ready for a marathon in about 6.5 - 7 months and finished in 4:52:23. Only you can determine what you can do, but whether it be a full or half marathon, they both are GREAT goals!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Linn D.
on 11/5/09 9:57 am - Missoula, MT
The other part of the discussion is do you want to run it or walk it?  If you're okay doing a significant amount of walking, I'm sure you could do it.  I did my first half about 7 months after I started running, but once I had been running for a while, I was able to train for my first full in about 5 months.

Another thing to think about is the time you have to train.  My experience from last year to this year is that I most likely have the TIME to train for one (one long run/week), but I don't have the energy by the time the weekend rolls around (full-time student in pharmacy school with a part-time job, husband, and 4 animals).  I tried to do it last year and had a miserable race.

I'm certainly not trying to discourage you, I just want you to be realistic about what you can commit your life to, because training for a marathon is a big commitment. 

Linn
Waterwench
on 11/5/09 12:07 pm - portland, OR
Overuse injuries are a concern as well. Start slow and build from there. It takes a lot longer for the joints and tendons to adapt to the demands of running than for the muscles, which is one reason they recommend that you be a runner for a year before the first marathon, from what I have read.

Start with a walk-to-run program and build mileage slowly. If you make it through the mileage build-up without injury, marathon training will be much easier.

My first marathon goal is for the 2010 Portland Marathon next October. I started running in July, and am in the 8th week of my 19 week mileage build-up plan. After that, marathon training!

Of course, I am by nature a slow and cautious participant, so take what advice sounds good to you and leave the rest--I don't mind!  

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

Scott William
on 11/5/09 8:28 pm
You absolutely could do it if it is something that you really want to do.  My advice would be to do a half and schedule a full a few months later.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Hawgman
on 11/6/09 12:11 am - TX
Hell yes you can do it!!!

I went from surgery 10/21 to a half on 4/21.  So I know you can do it.  I also used the Hal Higdon schedule to get me where I need to be.

I say go for it.  Build your base between now and then and when 18 weeks rolls around if you are able to run 3 miles you are ready to roll.  You might think about using the couch to 5k program as a precursor to the marathon training plan.  Once you start participating in races you will be hooked.

Congratulations on your commitment to fitness!!

Darrell
robt859
on 11/6/09 12:27 am
Thanks for the input everyone, i think we have made the decision that my 20 year old Marine Corps mind needs to yield to the 42 years old fat body. The 1/2 it is, my wife will be happy that I will be using our 1200 dollar treandmill I wouldn't let her sell (4 years owned 1.5 miles used). that way i can keep moving even on the cold days of winter.

My daughter wants to know if you get a medal for the 1/2 or if it is just the full? Does anyone know?

Seht
on 11/6/09 3:26 am
Usually they give out finishers medals for either of those distances.

If they have a web site that you can look at often they will say finishers medals and t-shirts or whatever for all entrants/finishers.

Scott

btw congrats on taking on this goal.  It will be hard, but when you get to the fini**** will absolutely have been worth it.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Hawgman
on 11/6/09 3:29 am - TX
Congratulations on your decision!!

Keep us informed of your progress.

Good luck.
Most Active